D&D 5E Best Class and Why???

Lanliss

Explorer
I see a lot of love for monks here. Let me chime in and say that I really love playing diplomats and spies and other unarmed-and-apparently-harmless characters.

Monks (and bardlocks) work great in that role because all of their tools are invisible. No need for a huge greatsword and plate armor--this nerdy little accountant is going to kill you with his quill and his bare hands!

It doesn't really fit in a dungeon crawling game but it's fun in other kinds of games.

You could also do a pretty nice EK "seemingly harmless" fighter. Grab Mage armor, and leave your Bonded weapon sitting in an armory somewhere. Then, out of nowhere, you can be armed and armored in a single turn. Maybe even mix a little Kensai(UA) so you can dump Strength and be a Dex greatsword fighter, and not have to rely on Mage armor, though it would still have a higher max than the Monk.

Zargo Games

First Post
I love designing content almost as much as playing, and the two classes I love designing for more than any other are the fighter and warlock. They're both incredibly versatile classes and there's a ton of room to add a lot of flavor to them through archetypes and patrons, as well as new fighting styles for fighters and eldritch invocations for warlocks

Paladins are great in 5e, easily the best they've been since 1e, and the different Oaths do a great job of differentiating builds of the class, their world views, and such.

Also really liking 5e Rogues. The Assassin subclass in particular is also the best it's been since 1e's take.

Satyrn

First Post
Fighter. Battlemaster specifically. And it goes best with a gnome.

It's a fun martial class, gives me some nice fun options to tack onto my attacks. After taking Martial Adept for a couple extra maneuvers and 1 more die, it's even rather in the sweet spot of enough options, without too many, and enough uses that I feel free to use them often but not so many that I don't have to think at least a little tactically about pacing my use of them.

(Also, with the second wind and the Parry maneuver, the battlemaster a good amount of self healing.)

. . . by the way, out of curiosity, has anybody made a drinking game yet, to down a bottle of beer every time I mention my gnome battlemaster? I love the little guy, I mention him every chance I get.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I usually DM, so I don't get to play much, but the character that I created for Adventurer's League games is a Dwarf with one level of fighter and two levels of bard and he is turning out to be one of the most fun characters I've ever played. The reason for the multi-classing was for purely story purposes. I like the idea of someone who was raised to be a fighter but who had a passion for music. He went AWOL to the great shame of his family and clan. I don't want to bore you with a page of background detail.

Although it was for the fun of roleplaying that I created him this way, I'm finding that he is fun to play mechanically as well. A bard in heavy armor with a war hammer. His battle instrument is a glaur. He also plays bag pipes.

Falthic Brighthorn
Male Mountain Dwarf Bard 2/Fighter 1
Medium humanoid, neutral good
Background: Entertainer
Faction: Harpers
--------------------
Armor Class 18 (chain mail, shield)
Hit Points 29 (3 HD; 2d8+1d10+9)
Speed 25 ft.
--------------------
STR 17 (+3), DEX 8 (-1), CON 17 (+3), INT 10 (+0), WIS 8 (-1), CHA 14 (+2)
--------------------
Saving Throws Str +5, Con +5
Skills Acrobatics +1, Animal Handling +0, Arcana +1, Athletics +5, Deception +3, History +1, Insight +0, Intimidation +4, Investigation +1, Medicine +0, Nature +1, Perception +0, Performance +4, Persuasion +4, Religion +1, Sleight of Hand +0, Stealth +0 (Disadvantage from armor worn), Survival +0
Damage Resistances poison
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 10
Languages Common, Dwarvish

Actions
--------------------

Light Crossbow. Ranged Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, range 80 ft./320 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d8-1 piercing damage.

Dagger. Melee or Ranged Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft. or range 20 ft./60 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d4+3 piercing damage.

+1 Warhammer. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d8+4 bludgeoning damage or 1d10+4 bludgeoning damage if used with two hands to make a melee attack.

Unarmed Strike. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one creature.
Hit: 4 bludgeoning damage.

Equipment +1 Warhammer, chain mail, Dagger, Light Crossbow, shield, backpack, ball bearings (bag of 1,000), caltrops (bag of 20), candle (5), case, crossbow bolt (40), chalk, disguise kit, glaur, hammer, manacles, oil (flask) (2), pouch, rations (5), sack, signal whistle, soap, tinderbox, trinket, trinket, trinket, waterskin, whetstone, 38 gp

Hero Lab and the Hero Lab logo are Registered Trademarks of LWD Technology, Inc. Free download at http://www.wolflair.com
System Reference Document 5.1 Copyright 2016, Wizards of the Coast, Inc.

Li Shenron

Legend
I want to know your favorite classes, or what you think is the best class and why. It can be for mechanical, roleplay, or for nostalgia purposes. Just make sure to leave them below!

My favorite class is definatly the Warlock, as I believe that it brings the most roleplay opportunities to the table, especially if you have an awesome DM who knows what they are doing.

So again what is your favorite class and why?

Any class from any edition is okay. Thanks in advance.

Judging purely on how often I have played various classes, I have to say that the Wizard has been my most common class. But I wouldn't call it my favourite. I don't really have a favourite... I like them all :)

thekindgm

Villager
I have two favorite classes but, sadly, they are still in playtest. They are the Mystic and the Artificer. I like both of them for flavor reasons and Eberron has played a role in that.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Let me be the first one to speak up for the Cleric. I love the 5e Cleric. For me, it is an incredibly robust class that seems to allow a much greater range of viable builds than any other 5e class. It's that versatility that I like: yes Wisdom will typically be one of the top two attributes, but I've seen (and played) more clerics where the top attribute was not the casting stat than any other class. And the top or top-but-WIS stat can be any of the other stats, depending on domain choice, and still be fully viable.

Wednesday Boy

The Nerd WhoFell to Earth
My most played classes are skilled ones--primarily Rogue but also Ranger, Scout, etc. But my all time favorite class is the 3.x Binder. It is an incredibly creative concept and it's chock full of roleplaying cues for both the GM (e.g, how the gameworld reacts to Binders and NPCing the vestiges) and the player (e.g., characteristics from being possessed by a vestige). I only had the opportunity to play one once in a campaign and after one session it was apparent that the GM had no interest in roleplaying aspects of the Binder that I found interesting, so I shelved that character until a better opportunity presented itself and played a Scout instead.

Remove ads