• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best Class for a new player

what is the best class for an inexperienced player

• Barbarian

Votes: 79 29.9%
  • Bard

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Cleric

Votes: 8 3.0%
  • Druid

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Fighter

Votes: 165 62.5%
  • Monk

Votes: 6 2.3%
  • Paladin

• Ranger

Votes: 23 8.7%
  • Rogue

Votes: 34 12.9%
  • Sorcerer

Votes: 50 18.9%
  • Wizard

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Something from another source (cite please)

• Whatever the player wants

Votes: 35 13.3%

CGoat

First Post
Let them play what ever they want. They shouldn't be forced to play a character just because everyone feels it is the easiest.

A cleric is always a sound choice as well. They get spells so they can explore that aspect of the game. And they have the HP and BAB to have fun on the combat side as well. Even a poorly played cleric that heals people is still good to have. Of course most people feel they get "stuck" with playing the cleric.

Kwitchit

First Post
If it wasn't for the 9th-level bit I would also have selected one of the 4-level casting classes (Paladin, Ranger or CW Hexblade). All of these can tank to a varying degree, the first two have easy archetypes for the player to get into (gallant knight, Legolas) and they all start out very easy to play, with only occasional minor abilities (Lay on Hands, Smite, Favoured Enemy, Curse). Later on, they introduce other game aspects, such as spellcasting and animal allies (Ranger companion, Paladin Mount, Hexblade Familiar).

Out of those, I'd say Ranger: easy archetype, fewer special abilities than Paladin, good intro to Feat chains, and tracking makes him seem useful even in a preexisting party where the 4 niches are already filled.

Aust Diamondew

First Post
I voted fighter, sorcerer and rogue. I would've added cleric but being a walking wand of CLW isn't fun, particuarly when you're new. Fighter and sorcerer are good, just as long as you stick with simple and straight forward feats and spells.

lukelightning

First Post
Cleric is a no. The sheer number of spells that clerics have access to are not for the beginner. This, along with turning undead, spontaneous casting, etc. make it quite complicated; moreso than the wizard, as the cleric's role of buffing requires more knowledge of stats, modifiers (what stacks and what doesn't stack) and possbly other classes' roles.

Sorcerers are the best bet for PHB spellcasters; I'd swap out the familiar for a bonus feat or something, unless the player wants a kitty cat.

Warlocks are good as well, but possibly might not have enough of an "iconic" D&D hero feel.

I think a paladin could actually be a good choice; only a few spells, probably won't be turning, straightforward combat, and it's easy for people to understand "I'm a knight of goodness and holiness" for roleplaying. Yeah, there is the danger of them becoming "Lawful stupid" or something, but that might be a good way to introduce alignment.

Barbarian is the best "fighter" choice, just be sure to include pre-calculated rage stats and one pre-calculated power-attack (instead of leaving the player to decide..."one point or nine?" at least for the first few encounters). Plus they are easy to roleplay but can still be more than "Krusk Smash!"; just think Conan.

Chiaroscuro23

First Post
In 2e and earlier it was fighter, no questions asked.

That's no longer true. Fighters now have lots of situational modifiers and tactical decisions to make, in light of their many feats. They need to pick the right feats, then use them in combat. When you don't know what type of die to roll for attack or damage, you don't want to have to be thinking about who to Dodge, how much to PA, or if a Tactical Feat applies.

That's why I picked Paladin or Ranger. Limited spellcasting (none at low levels) plus good at kicking ass. Paladin best of all. They're hardy (good saves, good HP, good armor), they kick ass, "holy warrior" is an easy archetype to get your brain around.

And best of all, new players haven't yet been indoctrinated in the Lawful Stupid/Stick up the *** style of play adopted by so many bad paladins.

-C.

Last edited:

whydirt

First Post
I would let a new player choose any class they want. I figure that the more excitement they have for their character, the more motivated they'll be to learn the rules. Even if you nudge a player into an "easy" class, you still have to deal with enemy attacks along with buffs and other effects from the party.

I voted before I read the first post... At 1st level I would encourage a new roleplayer to play a bard. You have a little bit of everything with a bard, so you're always useful.

I... wouldn't recommend starting a new player above 1st level, but if it must be done, then they should play a barbarian. Fighters offer too many choices for new players.

Elf Witch

First Post
I voted let the player choose. In my very first game I played a cleric back in 2ED I had help from a great DM who helped me build my character but I had to learn spells and how to choose them and how to balence how many healing spells to carry with other spells.

I am playing in an Eberron game with a complete newbie he is playing a rogue who is a changling and he is doing a good job of managing his 4 identies. I thought he was going to have trouble with the character but he is doing okay.

I am starting a campaign sort of DnD meets Xena/Hercules and I have two new players I asked them what they wanted to play the one wants a character like Bruce Campell King of Thieves so he will me making a rogue the other wants to play a priestess so I am looking at some of the different divine classes to see what would work for her.

I am in the firm camp of letting people play what intrests them the most. Sure it may be hard and they may make mistakes but I think that is better than playing a class that you have no intrest in just because it is easier.

As for letting newbies play in a high level game I can see issues with that but starting them at first level when everyone else is higher just does not seem like it would be fun, I played a monk in a 10 level game and I had to start at 1 it was boring and frustrating. And while I did level a little faster I never did catch up.

My advice would be to put the 9 level campaign on hold for a few months and start a new game at 1st level to let the new player learn and then repick up the 9 level campign.

I've always recommened fighter, but give them a brief overview of the others and ask them about their interests and see if they are more interested in something else.

howandwhy99

Adventurer
I'm sort of stunned so many people have chosen the Fighter class. With so many feats it can quickly become a very notes intensive class to play. Think of all the weapons, combination of weapon attacks, feat special attacks, stacking of bonuses from allies, etc.

I think Barbarian is by far simpler. 2 character stats: 1 normal & 1 raging. And the player also gets to wail for the big time damage.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads