• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best damn RPG product design and interior art you've ever seen?

Numion

First Post
The Power Behind the Throne I like the most. Nice art for every important NPC. Handouts were also very nice, as always with WFRP, from pre-Hogshead era.

Of the d20 products CoC is clearly most to my liking. The Epic book seems disappointing. The art isn't very epic. It's shoddy.

Holy Bovine

First Post
bondetamp said:
Nobilis has allready been mentioned, and it is stunning indeed.

But talking about stunning illustration and layout without mentioning HÔL would be a travesty. Yes, the game is mostly a joke, but the layout is legible and makes sense in the context, and I dare you to find an rpg book with better and more relevant illustrations. That book tickled my funny bone something fierce, but it also made the art appreciator in me very, very pleased.

Oh god, I had almost expunged the nightmare that is HOL from my mind until now. :eek:

Funny as hell but I couldn't read more than 2 pages of that chicken scratching that was used to write the book in.

One of my favourite parts was the example of combat that the author got confused writing about and rambles on about how drunk he is at the moment. :)

Xeriar

First Post
bondetamp said:
Nobilis has allready been mentioned, and it is stunning indeed.

But talking about stunning illustration and layout without mentioning HÔL would be a travesty. Yes, the game is mostly a joke, but the layout is legible and makes sense in the context, and I dare you to find an rpg book with better and more relevant illustrations. That book tickled my funny bone something fierce, but it also made the art appreciator in me very, very pleased.

My favorite is the map scale - 1 inch = 2.54 centimeters.

---

On a more serious note, I was really, really impressed with AEG's Otasan Uchi supplement. You really did feel like you were reading about a city, and that it was a city...

Wicht

Hero
Of those I own CoC d20 was the best thus far.

But I have high hopes for the Kalamar Atlas. From everything I have seen thus far it should be a keeper in every sense of the word.

hong

WotC's bitch
AngelTears said:
each gaming book has it's own style. but the best i have seen: hands down. Is Nobilis.

Oh yeah, that's beautiful. It might well be the first RPG that could serve as a coffee table book.

wighair

Explorer
i have to vote for HOL too. It poped into my head as soon as i saw the thread title. It still makes me laugh when i think of the range examples.

blaster219

Explorer
Of books I own, D20 Modern, CoCd20 and Darkmatter. All have a similar feel to them and I really love the almost cartoon quality of some of the artwork in d20M.

Also, the cover of the Freeport hardback and the cover of the Dragonstar: Imperial Supply Cataloge.

Vuron

First Post
Engel is gorgeous as well and d20 for you d20 users ;)

Other examples include the Metabaron game which I really have no experience with, Tribe 8, Adventure! and some others that elude my memory right now.

Remove ads