• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best DC-area ski resort?

Heya,

My SO and I recently got back into skiing after a long break (with a trip to the French Alps, no less). We live in the Washington, DC, area, and I was wondering what the best resorts were within a reasonable weekend trip distance?

I grew up in New England, so I was used to resorts like Killington, VT, and Sunday River, ME. Is there anything approaching that level of skiing? (I'm NOT expecting anything like you get in the Alps or Rockies -- I know better.)

We would really like to spend at least a few weekends in January-February on the slopes. Any advice would be appreciated.

DPM

Voadam

Legend
There are a few ski areas here but I don't think they are even up to the level of Killington et al. in New England, much less the rocky mountain type ones. Sorry.

Katcracker

First Post
Firstly, I envy you and your French Alps skiing experience!

On to your actual question: Unfortunately what I have found is West Virginia has a few areas that could be decent if they get a really good snow, other wise you really need to be back up where you started (VT & ME). I've had some really good experiences in New Hampshire, but that's been the closest for good January skiing.

The ones I've hit in PA are like skiing a sheet of ice with what few flakes the snow machines can produce. I'm looking for a new place to try though, so hopefully someone will know someplace :)

We're going to try a trip out west, maybe, but we want to ski more than once this year. Nothing is likely to compare to the Alps trip.

It was two Americans amidst a bunch of English and Australians in a private chalet about 20' from the slope in Courcheval (Three Valleys). They got a huge dumping of fresh powder right before we arrived, and the temperature for the first few days was in the 40s edging up to 50. For three days, the sky was clear, and you could see Mount Blanc clearly in the distance. Then, just as the powder started to get old, a new snowstorm came through and dumped a fresh batch! On the last morning, we skied from over to the next resort in a snowstorm -- it took hours, and was a blast. :)

This was the first time I had been skiing in more than 10 years.

jezter6

Explorer
Definately check out Seven Springs, it's one of the best of PA and one of my favorites.

If NY isn't too far for a weekend trip, I recommend checking out Greek Peak or Holiday Valley.

buzzard

First Post
DreadPirateMurphy said:
We're going to try a trip out west, maybe, but we want to ski more than once this year. Nothing is likely to compare to the Alps trip.

Sounds like a heck of a trip. Though I think you can get better snow in the states (I skied the Alps for 3 years). If you are heading west, be sure to try Utah, they have the best snow I've ever skied. By far.

Though as for eastern skiing, well I did live in Pittsburgh for quite some time and skied the western PA resorts (Seven Springs and Hidden Valley). If you believe that ice skating on a sharp downward decline is worth your time and money, then by all means hit Seven Springs. You will also have the opportunity it wait in immensely long lift lines and ski crowded slopes.

While maybe the far NE restorts are bearable (Vt, NH), I haven't tried them, and honestly I live in Colorado, so I have little inclination to bother. I'm of a firm opinion that skiing in the Eastern U.S. should only be done if you are close to a decent mountain, and can't move west.

buzzard

Remove ads