• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best entry into Dragon Disciple

Morose

First Post
So, if it was you doing it... what class combo would you use as an entry into the Dragon Disciple PrC? I'm looking for ones that emphasize the melee side of things. I know many folks think that Barbarian is a good choice... others? Maybe combine Fighter/Ranger/Sorceror? Any and all opinions on the subject welcome.

Edit: fixed stupid spelling errors

Last edited:

gfunk

First Post
Assuming that you actually become enlarged at DD level 5 (+8 Str, +4 Con, etc.). I would go the following route:

Fighter 4
Sorcerer 1 (True Strike, Feather Fall)
DD 10
Fighter 5

I would take Improved Trip, Knockdown chains as well as Lightning Reflexes to boost Reflex saves. Also take Power Attack to use in conjunction with True Strike.

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
The above one is good, but I'd get rid of one fighter level for a Ranger level. A total of 9 fighter levels doesn't help as much as 8 fighter levels plus one ranger level.

However, you might consider trying to get a second prestige class after the DD levels.

apsuman

First Post
I would go with a straight sorcerer.

I know I am in the minority here, but I am rather adamant about a sorcerer/DD being a very very good class combo.

I will post more details later, perhaps in a new thread defending the SOR/DD combo.

g!

Darkness8Me

First Post
There's lots of ways you could make him, though I'm guessing that a Barbarian 5 / Fighter 4 / Sorcerer 1 / Dragon Disciple 10 would have a nasty set of offensive (as well as defensive) tricks.

Off the top of my head I like any of the following:

Bbn4 / Sor1
Good Stuff: Rage (2/day), fast movement, uncanny dodge, good skill points / selection.

Bbn2 / Ftr2 / Sor1
Good Stuff: 2 bonus feats, Rage (1/day), fast movement, uncanny dodge, better than fighter skill points / selection.

Ftr4 / Sor 1
Good Stuff: 3 bonus feats, access to weapon specialization.

Pal2 / Ftr2 / Sor1 (fun with gold/silver dragons)
Good Stuff: 2 bonus feats, detect evil at will, smite evil (1/day), immunity to disease and fear, and charisma bonus to saves (basically a +2 or more to all saves, since you're most likely to have at least a 12 charisma, and you gain +2 to charisma later on in the prestige class).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads