D&D 4E Best epic destiny for Storm Sorcerers?

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I certainly like the idea I could also see not requiring a feat for Martial Practices unless you well arent martial, and not requiring a feat for rituals if you are trained in Arcana.

Roseweave

Explorer
Yeah IMO there are some things that are just logical to be able to do?

Like my Aranea character can deal damage by biting in her Hybrid form there's just lit. no reason to ever use it because it'd be an unarmed melee

But more specifically some Rituals and Martial practises make sense for something you'd just be able to DO as a character with a certain set of experiences.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Yeah IMO there are some things that are just logical to be able to do?

Like my Aranea character can deal damage by biting in her Hybrid form there's just lit. no reason to ever use it because it'd be an unarmed melee
I suppose at some level the reason skills are open ended are because of that. I will explain more below.
But more specifically some Rituals and Martial practises make sense for something you'd just be able to DO as a character with a certain set of experiences.
I had someone point out that in the DMG2 a HS expended is presented as a possible way to represent an extraordinary exertion in attempting a skillful action (usually long term performance), and you didnt need to know a martial practice to do that.

They considered that to undermine Martial Practices completely.

You can also sometimes situationally throw money at a problem (1/10 the cost of a magic item)
the ritual is much more efficient than that (something like 3 to 6 times as efficent).

And that if you knew the an appropriate ritual it should contribute basically single success.... now if martial practices actually were worth just like a ritual that gives us a cost relationship.

That could be used for improvised rituals. And when you get down to it then martial practices are too expensive they aren't more efficient because you know them.

Rituals are more efficient than well spending raw money to buff the situation. (because you have to know them. ), if you do not know the ritual basically you could still improvise one and spend more I think 4 times was what seemed reasonable an alarm at 80 gold would not make a Paragon or higher character blink. I let people scavenge for ritual components too so its not necessarily money but more time. Which sometimes flavor as you didnt fail your ritual you just took too long because you had to hunt etc etc.

To enable martial practices the same kind of improved efficiency compared to just spending a healing surge to buff an appropriate skill, my revision allows one to use an appropriate skill to avoid the cost on a martial practice.

One of the DMGs mentioned using arcana checks to modify rituals so what exactly they do is more flexible than they seem too.

But anyway I have also thought if one learns certain rituals or practices it might also allow one to learn extra skill powers.

Last edited:

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
I've been struggling to find one I'm 100% about, but Emergent Primordial seems very cool and works well for an elementally themed character, and a nice damage boost for strikers. The transformation is fun too as I like my characters to have those, but I'm also having troubling forming an actual plot around "becomes Kaiju". She's already a (refluffed Hengeyokai) Aranea so a monster girl as is, so it's not out of left field. Of course I'll be refluffing Emergent Primordial too to something slightly different too.

Originally I was looking at Draconic Incarnation which is supposed to be sorcerer oriented - but mechanically, other than having a cool death feature, it's not that great. The transformation just gives you an extra(admittedly quite strong) at will. I do like that it gives a double stat boost though(since I have dominant winds my effective movement is keyed off my dex).

Are there any other good suggestions? A lot of the strong ones are kind of boring and I'd rather have something that's interesting and inspires me.
When i got a storm sorcerer to epic, I ended up choosing Avangion. Somehow in my head it made sense.

Roseweave

Explorer
Leaning towards Emergent Primordial though i like the flavour of Shiradi Champion so I may try and pull of some weird elemental fey thing.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Leaning towards Emergent Primordial though i like the flavour of Shiradi Champion so I may try and pull of some weird elemental fey thing.
Epic Destiny flavor really does seem very very important to me... I look at some of them like Destined Scion and shake my head.

Remove ads