• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best ever Dragon issues?

Dr. Harry

First Post
sckeener said:
Here are some of my classic quickies...as a kid I poored over these:

#75 for the Nine Hells
#76 for the Nine Hells
#78 for the psionicist
#93 for Baba Yaga's Dancing Hut
#86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 92 for the Suel pantheon
#87 for the ecology of the dryad
#90 for the Norse articles
#91 for the Nine Hells
#110 for better or Norse
#114 for the cover and the Witch (I got into more discussions in Highschool about this cover)
#116 for all the sea articles
QUOTE]

#75, #76, #78, #116, most definitely.

I'd include the "Point of View" articles from #59-66 (or thereabouts), and #67 (The astral plane, githyanki, an astral adventure!)

There was one, #202 or #207, that was really good as well, had something about real caves and cavern systems.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Some excellent reminisces there, thanks guys!

I find it particularly interesting that a number of good articles are almost 'D&D philosophy' - not crunch in the game system, not particularly flavour in the game system, but more like thoughts about the game system and setting.

Cheers

Greg K

Legend
Plane Sailing said:

I find it particularly interesting that a number of good articles are almost 'D&D philosophy' - not crunch in the game system, not particularly flavour in the game system, but more like thoughts about the game system and setting.

Cheers

For me, it was easy to find the articles. I have a list already made upfor when I want to find an article on the Dragon cd-rom. All I had to do was cut and paste.

sckeener

First Post
Greg K said:
Edit: More recent issues
I like both the Demonomicon articles by James Jacobs and Sean Reynold's Core Beliefs.

Agreed. I love the Demonomicon and Core Belief articles.

Though not Dragon, I'd toss in the DungeonCraft articles from Dungeon as well.

Re Dragon Mag CD: it was the best buy I ever made and I've loved it since it came out....too bad they couldn't continue selling it as I think most gamers would love to get their hands on a copy. Ditto about updating it....I would love to have a grand collection DVD of all the Dungeon and Dragon magazines.

MKMcArtor

First Post
Evilhalfling said:
Hmm add the 2 magazines that more recently provided dragons with savage species progression. My gold wyrmling 15/rouge1 with a VoP would be impossible without it.
and it has seen use for anumber of npc dragons as well.

*happy dance*

(Those were issues 320 and 332, IIRC.)

EATherrian

First Post
sckeener said:
Agreed. I love the Demonomicon and Core Belief articles.

Though not Dragon, I'd toss in the DungeonCraft articles from Dungeon as well.

Re Dragon Mag CD: it was the best buy I ever made and I've loved it since it came out....too bad they couldn't continue selling it as I think most gamers would love to get their hands on a copy. Ditto about updating it....I would love to have a grand collection DVD of all the Dungeon and Dragon magazines.

Agreed to all of your points. The Core Belief and Demonomicon articles were fantastic. Dungeoncraft was a great column. And finally, the Dragon CD is one of my most prized possessions, but even owning it I'd buy an Omnibus DVD. Man, that's a happy thought there indeed, let's get on that Wizards!

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Plane Sailing said:

Cheers

Exactly.

Though I also liked the modules (when it had them) and minigames. And the Ares section.

Ycore Rixle

First Post
114 with the Witch was always my all-time favorite too!

75 and 76 are in second place for the Nine Hells.

Issue 100 for Gary Gygax's "Let's start swinging the pendulum the other way" editorial. At least, I think that was the name of it, and the right issue number.

Others that I don't remember the issue numbers for:

Roger Moore's "The Half-Orc Point of View" and to a slightly lesser extent the elven and other point of view articles.

Nogard and The Wandering Damage Table (issue 100 also?).

The relatively recent ninjas, pirates, and dinosaurs issue (I remember Chris Thomasson and
Matt Sernett, I think - or maybe just Matt? - shaking their heads and laughing about this issue at a Gen Con seminar).

The jester.

Another vote for Baba Yaga's Hut.

Fedifensor and the trip to London.

Some of the Voyage of the Princess Ark.

The 3e "best of" issue, I think it was, with Gorgoldand's Gauntlet.

Well I might have some of the issues off, but those are what stand out in my memory.

diaglo

Adventurer
The Strategic Review

SR1 Spring 1975.
SR2 Summer 1975.
SR3 Fall 1975.
SR4 Winter 1975.
SR5 Dec 1975.
SR6 Feb 1976.
SR7 April 1976.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads