Best game for God of War-esque action?

RangerWickett said:
I think I want MnM 2nd edition. I don't want to painstakingly have rules for delimbing and using horns as weapons. I want a quick resolution system where you can say, "I do OMGZOR cool stuff," and the game doesn't say, "Sorry, but you can't."

D&D is too codified. Iron Heroes sounds like it's just moreso. BESM, from my read through of at least the 2nd edition rules way back when, felt like it didn't have a well-fleshed out combat system. MnM2, if it's just like MnM1 but better, feels like you can do crazycool stuff easily, and that how that stuff affects combat is easy to understand.

Maybe I just never played BESM enough, but in the one MnM game I played at Gen Con last year, a Swede hurled a cannonball at a flying saucer, and it took all of one roll to resolve, but the one roll still felt like it generated a fairly believable result.

(Plus my roommate heard me talking about this and said he'll just buy me MnM2 as a late Christmas/Birthday present. Score!)
BESM 3rd edition goes a fair ways towards patching up combat from previous editions, and is worth a look at any rate. Not sure how the combat actually runs in 3rd, as I've yet to play/run it :(

M&M2e combat is largely the same as 1st edition and general d20 combat, with a few added manuevers (aggressive stance, revamp on slam manuevers, knockback to send foes flying into the sunset if you hit them hard enough). I've run the 2e game a couple times, once using the animated Justice League, and have done several mock combats, and have had no problems with the combat system. Over on the Atomic Thinktank in the Roll Call forum there are plenty of stat-threads with example combats, the two most prolific being BARON and MDSnowman using a variety of characters, including a super brawl between Thanos and Superman. Reading those will give you a pretty solid idea about how 2e combat works.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
So RW, do you wish to crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women? Or you just want to be a bad ass god of war? ;)

hong

WotC's bitch
Nightfall said:
Or you just want to be a bad ass god of war? ;)

hyphen.jpg

The_Universe

First Post
RangerWickett said:
I think I want MnM 2nd edition. I don't want to painstakingly have rules for delimbing and using horns as weapons. I want a quick resolution system where you can say, "I do OMGZOR cool stuff," and the game doesn't say, "Sorry, but you can't."

D&D is too codified. Iron Heroes sounds like it's just moreso. BESM, from my read through of at least the 2nd edition rules way back when, felt like it didn't have a well-fleshed out combat system. MnM2, if it's just like MnM1 but better, feels like you can do crazycool stuff easily, and that how that stuff affects combat is easy to understand.

Maybe I just never played BESM enough, but in the one MnM game I played at Gen Con last year, a Swede hurled a cannonball at a flying saucer, and it took all of one roll to resolve, but the one roll still felt like it generated a fairly believable result.

(Plus my roommate heard me talking about this and said he'll just buy me MnM2 as a late Christmas/Birthday present. Score!)
Good call!

...and you referenced my game from gen con '06! Whooooo!

Nightfall said:
So RW, do you wish to crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women? Or you just want to be a bad ass god of war? ;)

Man, you've got Conan on the brain. What is that, 5 posts about that quote in three days?

Lonely Tylenol

First Post
RangerWickett said:
I want a game that is awesome, so I can run it and be an awesome GM. Awesome-er, I guess, since I'm already pretty d*mn swanky.
I am suddenly possessed by a desire to move to Georgia.
...or perhaps Texas

Nightchilde-2

First Post
You've heard it a lot by now, but Exalted is EXACTLY perfect for this. When I play GoW, I think "Exalted combat." I've been running an Exalted 2e game since it came out and..yeah. Exalted.

M&M would be my second choice with Feng Shui a close third.

GMSkarka

Explorer
I know that it doesn't help you right now, but I'm working on a supplement for Adamant called "The Dao of Wuxia" which will pretty much bring that sort of combat to d20.

Remove ads