• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Best Horror Setting For D&D/ Ravenloft?

Hello Guys and Gals. First time poster here.

I've agreed to run a D&D 5e game for my cousin other the Christmas break from college. He loves the Witcher series of games. So I'm looking for something along those lines. So I've been looking at Ravenloft. Is it going to be a good fit? What else is out there?

ad_hoc

(they/them)
Hello Guys and Gals. First time poster here.

I've agreed to run a D&D 5e game for my cousin other the Christmas break from college. He loves the Witcher series of games. So I'm looking for something along those lines. So I've been looking at Ravenloft. Is it going to be a good fit? What else is out there?

I don't know The Witcher but I do know Ravenloft.

Can you describe what you want a bit more?

Ravenloft will require a bit of converting but I do think that 5e will be a good fit for it, much better than 3.x was at any rate.

I'm not entirely sure yet sorry. I am looking for Monster hunting and a dark or gritty setting. I will get in contact with my cousin and find out more on what he wants.

Hmmm I will have to look at Ustalav thank you.

I've looked at Midgard but still know nothing about it lol, will have to look at it again.

I will check out the link thanks.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
I'm not entirely sure yet sorry. I am looking for Monster hunting and a dark or gritty setting. I will get in contact with my cousin and find out more on what he wants.

Hmmm I will have to look at Ustalav thank you.

I've looked at Midgard but still know nothing about it lol, will have to look at it again.

I will check out the link thanks.

You should check out the Van Richten Guides. They are written from the perspective of characters (Van Richten and later his nieces and other heroes) on how to fight monsters.

It gives a grounded feel to it and focuses on research and careful planning to combat monsters rather than raw power.

Some of the domains are late renaissance to early Victorian era if that is what you want.

I've been interested in Midgard for a while. Are there plans to publish Midgard in 5E?

I always liked the concept of Ravenloft until I read about the domains. I never liked that aspect.

Ustalov would be a great fit, though it's Pathfinder. Try the Pathfinder novel Prince of Wolves by Dave Gross to get a feel for it. It was a pretty good read in its own right.

Galendril

Explorer
The best DnD horror in my opinion is Mask of the Red Death. It's an Earth-like setting in the 1890's. If you like Penny Dreadful, you'll love Mask of the Red Death.

When I looked up Midgard on drivethru there were a couple 5e products.

I will look up the novel thanks, been looking for a good fantasy horror novel.

I haven't watched Penny Dreadful yet but really want too. I'll keep that in mind thanks.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads