• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best non Role-playing Game

Best non-Role-playing Game

• Car Wars

Votes: 10 9.2%
  • Settlers of Cataan

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • Ogre

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Awful Green Things from Outer Space

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Dungeon

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Axis & Allies

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • Ogre

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Illuminati

Votes: 12 11.0%
  • Stock Ticker

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Risk

Votes: 21 19.3%

Wormwood

Adventurer
You forgot my all-time favorites:

1. Two For Flinching
2. Rock Fight
3. Indian Burn
4. Keep Away
5. Why Are You Hitting Yourself?

Good times.

UofMDude

First Post
Why aren't Diplomacy and Advanced Squad Leader on the list? But then everyone has their own definition of "best". It seems that most of the games on the poll are "party games".

Maerdwyn

First Post
spinjammer said:
My favourite would be Britannia. Too bad it is not on the list.
Does anybody else know Britannia? I've only met two people
so far that knew Britannia as well...

Spinjammer

I know, and like, Brintannia :)

Bran Blackbyrd

Explorer
From the list, we play Risk and a lot of Settlers of Cataan, but it's a long game to be stuck playing if you get screwed on the resources.

Not on the list, however, would be;

Lunch Money (Some of the most fun you can have pimp slapping your friends)

Feudal (got my friend a copy on ebay)
Hero Quest (Could be a roleplaying game, and then again, not.)

We also playtest a fantasy boardgame my friend is creating. It's not too bad, but since the rules are constantly being changed at this point, you have to learn how to play each time you play it. Which means the games currently run three hours or more, but that should change when the rules become familiar.

Edit - Magic: The Gathering used to be up there too, but I've freed myself from it's gravitational pull. Now I waste my money on minis.

Last edited:

Wolfshead

Explorer
Wormwood said:
You forgot my all-time favorites:

1. Two For Flinching
2. Rock Fight
3. Indian Burn
4. Keep Away
5. Why Are You Hitting Yourself?

Good times.

Hey, I remember these. Heck, my nieces and nephew still love it when I play #5 with them. It's a classic!

On a more serious note, I haven't played most of the games on the poll, so I'll put in a couple of different ones:

Kill Dr. Lucky (one or two others have mentioned this one)
Apples to Apples (great party game)

Randy

Diplomacy is a great game! My favorite non-RPG is, however, Mah-Jongg, played with Chinese rules. Poker is a great game, too. Oh yeah, and sorely missing from the list is several drinking games, but let's not go into that. :D

Lazybones

Adventurer
I'd say Avalon Hill's Advanced Civilization, although it's tough to get a group of people together to play. Luckily they did a computer version back about 5 yrs ago so I can get my fix against the AI every now and again.

No dice, simple rules, and backstabbing galore...

I had friends who were into Risk and A&A in college, but it just seemed like so much dice rolling.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads