• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best paints for minis

Tauric

First Post
Hey all,

I am thinking of taking up the brush after a long time away. I just checked my paints, and those that haven't separated have congealed. Thus, I need to restock, from scratch. Previously, I bought colors piecemeal, as needed, from whatever brands were on hand at my local shop. This time, I am thinking that I will just buy the whole pallet at once, from the same brand.

So my question is, what brand? I am leaning towards the Reaper Master Series, but is there something better? I am defining "best" here as affordable, good flowing, durable on the mini (no flaking), and long lasting in storage (in case I take another hiatus).

I would appreciate the help.

Thanee

First Post
Valleyo are the best AFAIK.

I would buy a single color first and see if it works for you before ordering a full pallet. :)

Bye
Thanee

nightwind1

Explorer
Believe it or not, I actually get GREAT results from Apple Barrel Craft Acrylics, from places like Michael's Arts and Crafts. And the nice thing is, you get about 2-3 times as much in a bottle as actual miniatures paints, for about half or less of the price of miniatures paints. Try it sometime.

Janx

Hero
My wife used Apple Barrel for years with great results.

I can't speak for the quality "minis" branded paints, other than they are expensive for what you get.

Stay away from Enamel paints, like the stuff Testor's sells for model cars and stuff. That is just the wrong tool for the job.

Acrylic paints are very easy to work with.

The one complaint my wife had about Apple Barrel was it was very thin paint. It took a lot more coats.

For real paintings, we tend to use more expensive acrylic paint that comes in tubes. I'm too lazy to look them up.

For Apple Barrel, go to Michaels or hobby lobby. A bottle cost about $1 or so.

For pro paint, go to a REAL art supply store. get some GOOD brushes, and be sure to clean them well, so they last.

I would still use Apple Barrel for painting minis, it's low priced, and looks good.

My wife worked at an art supply store, studied art. She seems to know her stuff (and the 40% discount was nice).

Tauric

First Post
Frank, I have to say again, thanks for the links, that's more information than I was expecting (almost too much to read).

Nightwind, Janx, I was just at Micheals today, and looked a their selection of acrylics, and Apple Barrel was the cheapest.

My question then, is , is the old adage true, that you get what you pay for? In other words, would I benefit more from getting Ceramcoat or the other brand (I don't remember what it is now), which were a bit more expensive (but still way cheaper than the gamer paints)?

falcarrion

First Post
I have used apple crate for years and have been very happy with them. But I also use reaper paints. For flesh I perfer the reaper paints. For primer I also use reaper. It all depends on the color I'm trying to achieve. but if money is an issue the apple crate is definitly the way to go. I'm no expert and may never win a painting compatition. But that is not why I paint.

falcarrion

First Post
As an added note keep a journal of what you used on a figure. theres nothing worse then trying to achieve a color and forgetting how you did it before.

Tauric

First Post
apple crate, barrel, whatever. The gist of what I'm getting from various sources is that all the paint have their strong and weak points, and that really it's a matter of preference which ones I should use.

Which does help, really, because now I can just look and see what's most reliable available in my area, and what line has the colors I want. I can also mix and match, from the sound of it, which is good.

Remove ads