• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best PDF making tool. (Campaign Handouts)

keterys

First Post
I now use Office 2007 which includes its own PDF generator.

It does? Huh, I need to go check my machine with office 2007... cause I lose some things on translation to pdf from word and I'd love to not have to worry about that. I'll still keep pdf creator, though - create for all kinds of stuff.

jefrey

First Post
I use, and highly recommend, the free and open source solution: OpenOffice.org. Not only does it have a convenient button to export to .pdf on the default toolbar, but the included Draw program is great for page layout & design.

renatoram

Explorer
If you need more fine control and graphics tools, you can use Inkscape

http://www.inkscape.org

Which is a free and multiplatform vector graphics tool not unlike CorelDraw or Illustrator. It can write in pdf directly (but you're often better off creating a png and converting that, for size reasons).

Rechan

Adventurer
What advantage would converting it from a Word file to a PDF file give? I mean, you can print the word file and email it around. Why make a PDF?

Nifft

Penguin Herder
What advantage would converting it from a Word file to a PDF file give? I mean, you can print the word file and email it around. Why make a PDF?
Compatibility with people who aren't you, mostly. (MS Office is notoriously incompatible with MS Office.) Even if you're using the same version of MS Word, PDFs allow you to use any font, and to avoid macro viruses.

If you convert to PDF, you can even share documents with people who don't have MS Word installed!

Cheers, -- N

Walknot

First Post
Primo pdf to make the document.

But also, good old "Printscreen" followed by "Paste" in window's Paint program. That way you can move things around and add text or pics. Anything you can see on your screen.

Remove ads