• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best Post-apocalyptic RPG?

JesterPoet

First Post
Does anyone have any good recommendations for a post-apocalyptic RPG? Something with a feel of "The Postman" or "I am Legend" or "The Road"?

I'd like to have a hardcopy of the book(s), if possible. I was looking at Darwin's World, which looks pretty awesome, but most of the stuff is only available in PDF now, which is kind of a pain.

Just thought I'd see if anyone has any other ideas.

Thanks!

2WS-Steve

First Post
Most of the print stuff is going to be older, and possibly hard to find. eBay can work pretty good though.

Here's a few off the top of my head:

Aftermath!
Waste World (sort of gonzo)
Twilight 2000
Warp World

--none of those are d20, and I think all but Waste World are available as PDF too.

DragonBelow

Adventurer
It's true that most opf Darwin's World is PDF, but their products are awesome. They just reprinted the survivors handbook (PHB equivalent), so you should be able to grab a print copy of that.

The great thing about DW is that it is first and foremost a toolkit, it has a nice default setting, but you can totally ignore it and just play the kind of stories that you want, simulate movies and what not.

JesterPoet

First Post
DragonBelow said:
It's true that most opf Darwin's World is PDF, but their products are awesome. They just reprinted the survivors handbook (PHB equivalent), so you should be able to grab a print copy of that.

The great thing about DW is that it is first and foremost a toolkit, it has a nice default setting, but you can totally ignore it and just play the kind of stories that you want, simulate movies and what not.

I kind of had a feeling this was going to be the answer. I think I may just have to go with the PDFs of everything but the survivor's guide and hope they print those too someday (though the e-mail I got from the publisher suggested that it is unlikely).

Mystaros

First Post
JesterPoet said:
Does anyone have any good recommendations for a post-apocalyptic RPG? Something with a feel of "The Postman" or "I am Legend" or "The Road"?

I'd like to have a hardcopy of the book(s), if possible. I was looking at Darwin's World, which looks pretty awesome, but most of the stuff is only available in PDF now, which is kind of a pain.

Just thought I'd see if anyone has any other ideas.

Thanks!

For the grim and gritty feel of those kinds of movies and novels, Twilight 2000 is your best bet. Aftermath would work too, but it can get bogged down in minutiae (T2000 has a bit of this, but not nearly as much). Gamma World, Darwin's World, and other game systems like it are too heavily into science-fantasy to give the gritty feel you get in the sources you've listed.

T2000 is available again in print; you can find it in stores or on Marc Miller's website. Aftermath is also still available, I think, from Fantasy Games Unlimited.

DMH

First Post
If you can find it, there is a spiffy, though short d20 PA game- Redline from Fantasy Flight (part of the Horizon series). More Road Warrior with optional mutant rules than anything else.

I don't own it, but have heard good things about OcTane from Memento Mori Theatricks. It is both print and pdf.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
DMH said:
I don't own it, but have heard good things about OcTane from Memento Mori Theatricks. It is both print and pdf.

That's octaNe -- I know because Jared corrected me ad nauseum way back when ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads