• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best Quotes of GenCon

Iceman

First Post
In game...
The ranger searches for tracks and finds nothing conclusive. We can go right or left.
He tells us his gut likes the right path, because it heads uphill.
Pulling out my holy symbol, I respond, "My God trumps your gut" and cast Augury.
(( And, since the module was written to have the same encounter occur either way, I got no answer. Made it all the more memorable. ))

Out of game...
I ran the same star wars module three times for the rpga.
Shortly into the second running, I get this from one player, in response to what happened to the starship I encouraged her to bring along (in lieu of another character's less capable vessel):
"You set me up! You dirty... You totally set me up!"

At the end of the third running, the player whose character owned the ill-fated starship that time stated, "I can't believe I was stunned *twice* in that mod."
She quire literally was -- blank expression, not focused on anything, barely responsive.
Talk about feeling the game.

Cheers,
-VIC

Quickbeam

Explorer
DrNilesCrane said:
I was in that session as well and thought the exact same thing: "Wow, if this guy is going to pony up $100 to get in, this game has got to be friggin' GREAT!"

About an hour into it, I was really kicking myself...a hundred freakin' bucks! sigh... :\

With no disrespect intended to you, Sean, or anyone else, I'm glad to hear tha game wasn't worth $100. I'd rather not be kicking myself a week after the fact for passing up a seat in the greatest RPG game session ever!!

And, it is indeed quirky/peculiar that you're also from the Detroit area as JD pointed out. Good to have almost met you :)

seankreynolds

Adventurer
Quickbeam said:
The young man turns to a few friends hovering near the table with him; quietly stews for perhaps 30-45 seconds; then blurts out to me, "I'll give you a $100 if you'll trade games."

I was right there when this happened but I somehow missed it. When I found out about it after the game I felt bad and gave him a signed copy of The New Argonauts and some minis.

Matchstick

Adventurer
Rel said:
I just loved how fast and loose the style of this game was. Another favorite moment of mine was when we had the magnetic shoe wearing goons and their explosive device anchored to our zeppelin and I looked at Sidereal Knight and said, "Hey Frenchy, don't we have a, uh, 'Hull Demagnetizer' on this thing?" And he smiled big and said, "Well we do NOW!"

Tremendous fun.

Is that how that happened? That was PURE GENIUS!

I think I was busy nearly getting my head shot off at that point.

:)

Overheard several times from customers at the Misfit Studios table at the Toronto Gaming Expo this weekend as they walked away with boxes of old gaming stuff I was selling cheap:

"I have to figure out a way to sneak this all into the hotel room without the wife catching me or I'm dead."

Quickbeam

Explorer
seankreynolds said:
I was right there when this happened but I somehow missed it. When I found out about it after the game I felt bad and gave him a signed copy of The New Argonauts and some minis.

That is a very nice gesture Sean, and probably part of the reason he was so intent on playing in the game. My buddy -- who is a bit less altruistic than yourself -- said, "I hope his character doesn't die in the first 15 minutes of the session :lol:

All things being equal, I really did want to stick around to watch and listen to the game. But that room was just too loud to hear most of what was being said unless you were right at the table.

SJ

Explorer
It certainly was a generous thing to do, Sean. I worry about folks who paid $3 having a good time when I DM, but $100? Who knows what lengths gamers will go to, huh?

OTOH, I'd say that's quite an honor! And a rare treat for a gamer to sit at the table with someone whose work you admire. One of the cool and unique things about GenCon, I think.

Well played, SKR.

Remove ads