Best "rats in the tavern cellar" map?

The ancient Judges Guild scenario The Dark Tower has a large dungeon, which includes an entrance from a tavern (there are several other entrances) and a rat warren, but from memory, the tavern does not lead to the warren.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
It may just truly be a gaming myth. For example Bone Hill has rats under a guardhouse, but this is not Rat Under Tavern
I was going to bring this one up too. I've run that one. L1 The Secret of Bone Hill has a nice town (Restenford) and local area map which I used as the starting area for my recent three year old school game.

Spoilers:

The secret smuggler's den under a guardhouse on the edge of town right near the wall and close to the waterfront. With remnants of the smugglers' stuff, an undead or two, and rat warrens connecting to it. One of the rumors/plot hooks in town is a child having been bitten by a giant rat just down the street from it.

The-Magic-Sword

Small Ball Archmage
What did you use to build this map? I am still pretty much using a generic note taking and sketching app w/ half tone grey grid sort of like old school pencil and paper days (I did go through a lot of graph paper back in high school in the 80s).

Thats the official Paizo map from the beginner box.

Undrave

Legend
It is wild how few maps out there have taverns with rat warrens. Is this meme of "everyone" starting campaigns this way wildly overblown?
Usually the rats are in the sewers. Rats as a first level adventure is familiar but not the specific of the tavern and paying the tab.

Personally, I had some success with a windmill setting instead where it turns out the rats are influenced by a kobold sorcerer with delusions of grandeur. He would be running in the rafters, using his magic to throw sacks of flours to create blinding clouds, or throw containers of grain that then break open releasing a swarm of rats! Throw a few Dire Rats in there and you got a simple challenge that can show the potential of using your environment.

CharlesWallace

enworld.com is a reminder of my hubris
Wow, ads are on target!
IMG_5663.jpeg

It is wild how few maps out there have taverns with rat warrens. Is this meme of "everyone" starting campaigns this way wildly overblown?
The free intro adventure on roll20 (I think it's called the Master's Vault?) has PCs fighting rats in the cellar of the tavern. The trope has been around for a while. I know it's joke between many of the people I game with.

Jasperak

Adventurer
The free intro adventure on roll20 (I think it's called the Master's Vault?) has PCs fighting rats in the cellar of the tavern. The trope has been around for a while. I know it's joke between many of the people I game with.
I think the question now is when did the joke start? What is the earliest evidence for 'rats in a cellar'?

I think the question now is when did the joke start? What is the earliest evidence for 'rats in a cellar'?
Yeah, I don't know. I think, if you're a DM, and you're looking for adventure hooks for 1st level, it's low-hanging fruit. Often times it isn't necessarily in the actual tavern, but it's the same adventure and your character probably found out about it at the tavern. Same as, 'goblins attacking a caravan'.

There might be a similar thing in Neverwinter Nights. What year did that game come out? Maybe it comes from video games.

Remove ads