• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best RPG buys of 2010?

Treebore

First Post
I have Diaspora and ICONS as PDF's, but because they are PDF's, which I hate to read, I haven't found out how good they are. I think I will make sure to buy the new printing of ICONS coming up as ell as get the Traveller version of Diaspora in print.

Chainsaw

Banned
Banned
Swords & Wizardry White Box - Awesome, played a good 16 session campaign in Castle Greyhawk using these rules. Probably about ~50 hours or so of gaming. Much fun, easy to use, easy to customize.

OSRIC hardcover - Great product, great rules, perfect complement to the 1E books I already have. Looking to get a game going in 2011.

Swords & Wizardry Complete hardcover - in the mail!

Complete set of XRP Advanced Adventure Modules and all the Black Blade products. Hoping to use these with my 1E game in 2011.

Also, various original art from old school artists - these I treasure most of all!

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
Being a long time Dark Sun fan I loved those books (but haven't played them yet), but far and away the best purchases our group made this year was Savage Worlds.

We bought several copies of core rules ($10 each! - Can't go wrong).

Also:

Deadlands Reloaded: Best setting I have read in a long time. Again - chepa, given the high production values.
Weird Wars II.

I also liked the 4E Monster Manual 3...well most of it, and probably should have got me a copy of the Monster Vault, if I wasn't too bust buying Savage Worlds.

ruemere

Adventurer
Anything by Contested Ground Studios, specifically:

Most things by Paizo Publishing, with highest praise going to:
  • Advanced Player's Guide (OGL) Hardcover
  • GameMastery Guide (OGL) Hardcover
  • GameMastery Module E1: Carnival of Tears (OGL) Print Edition
  • Pathfinder Module: Carrion Hill (PFRPG) Print Edition
  • Pathfinder Module: The Witchwar Legacy (PFRPG) Print Edition
  • Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Bestiary 2 (OGL) Hardcover
  • Pathfinder Module: The Witchwar Legacy (PFRPG) Print Edition (Greg Vaughan)
  • Adventure Paths and a few others.

Single products of great value:
  • Tales of the Old Margreve (PFRPG) Print Edition by OpenDesign.
  • Slumbering Tsar by Frog God Games. (Greg Vaughan)
  • Book of Monster Templates (PFRPG) Print/PDF Bundle by Rite Publishing

I've made several other purchases, however they either did not qualify to be mentioned here... or my memory failed to bring them up.

Regards,
Ruemere

The Green Adam

First Post
Not much. 2010 was a pretty light purchasing year for me for games, partially due to low funds and partially because I just didn't find a lot I needed. It may have been my lightest year ever.

That said, my best buys were:

DC Adventures RPG by Green Ronin
Fiasco By Jason Morningstar
Monsters and Other Childish Things By Arc Dream Publishing

I picked up a number of free online PDF RPGs and scored some awesome old stuff when one of my favorite comic books had a major sale. Got five issues of FASA's old Stardate Magazine, mint condition for $10. So sweet.

AD
Barking Alien

Festivus

First Post
Things I really liked this year:

Slaying Stone - In my opinion, probably one of the best adventures WoTC ever published.

D&D Essentials Rules Compendium - It's a great buy and with the index and soft cover, finding something is a snap. Fine example of taking lessons learned being applied in a low cost form factor.

Gamma World - Lots of fun, zany mayhem, and you really don't need the cards to play the game.

and something not purchased but still really cool:

D&D Encounters program: Really a win for the FLGS and the players, because the store gets product 10 days early, as do the players... and a great serialized adventure series for weeknight play. This is really a very good program, I encourage you to check it out if you have it running nearby (and also support the FLGS with purchases of course!)

Remove ads