• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best RPG buys of 2010?

Mythmere1

First Post
Addendum to my list:

Got my Swords & Wizardry Complete Rules PDF, and this book is absolute, pure win. Both content-wise, and production-wise. I even enjoy most of the art (which I'm usually pretty hard to please with) The Altar to Orcus pic (and Orcus himself) are spot-on. (Listen up WOTC- Orcus is not a steroid abuser- he's got some guns, but he is grossly fat as well ;) ). There are several art pieces that really capture how I envisioned the "world of D&D" as a youth.

AND It is exactly what I had hoped for in content- mucho good stuff from Greyhawk, Blackmoor, and Eldritch Wizardry.

+1 to this! A vote for fat Orcus!

Definitely Orcus is supposed to be fat and disgusting. It gives him that medieval-demon feel, not a comic-book villain image. The super-villain look makes it appear that he's really physically active ... but when that physical power is hidden under the slabs of fat of a demon-prince who lolls about on a throne all the time, that's somehow way more sinister and scary.

EDIT: 2010 isn't done yet; I think Frog God Games has still got a couple of modules coming out, although not in time for Christmas. The mass sellout of the Swords & Wizardry Complete Rules shook the pipeline a bit.

Last edited:

JeffB

Legend
Paul Jacquays did (for my tastes) the definitve Orcus- I'm not positive if the image is from an early issue of the Strategic Review or The Dragon, however in the "random demon generation" article that made it's way into Best of Dragon volume 1, the image can be found. Fantastic piece.

I just wish Bill would get back to me about my shipping cost so I can get my mitts on the softcover before I move. I have not heard from him for quite some time :(

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
■ 4e Dark Sun Creature Catalog (the setting book was also good but not great)

■ Monsters & Treasure of Aihrde (I just got this... great book!)

■ Kobold Quarterly (all of them from this year)

■ The Book of Fiends [hardcover] (I finally found a copy) :D

■ 4e Monster Vault (I just got this ... WOW ... nuff said)

■ Traveller Core Rulebook

■ Reign of Discordia [Traveller Edition]

■ Iron Kingdoms Character Guide :cool:

■ Eberron v.3.5 (I bought nine hardcovers, most for half price) :p

[Honorable Mention]
■ 4e Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide

And this doesn't even include the old school D&D modules, accessories, and boxed sets I bought.

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Best old school purchases...

[Dragonlance]
■ 2e Tales of the Lance Campaign Setting

[Greyhawk]
■ 1e Greyhawk Adventures

■ 1e Isle of the Ape [WG6]

[Forgotten Realms]
■ 2e Cloak & Dagger

■ 2e The Bloodstone Lands [FR9]

■ 2e The Horde

[Mystara/Hollow World]

■ Drums on Fire Mountain [X8]

■ Sons of Azca [HWR1]

Derulbaskul

Adventurer
Swords & Wizardry: the two free versions as PDFs and the latest version from Frog as a PDF also.

I never understood until I downloaded S&W why diaglo was always going on (and on) about OD&D. I got it after I read S&W.

While I still like 4E I suspect S&W will be figuring far more prominently in my future gaming life.

Obergnom

First Post
For me:

Rogue Trader & Into the Storm ... great books, great setting (I'm not a 40k fan, but love the RT setup.)

D&D Essentials + MM3 ... reinvigorated my enthusiasm for D&D 4e

Fiery Dragon Counter Collections ... my most useful purchase this year, I think.

Derulbaskul

Adventurer
I should add that I really enjoyed the Reavers of Harkenwold adventure in the DM's Kit. 2010 has really shown us that WotC can create good adventures (although, sadly, it's also the year that Dungeon stopped publishing adventures most months).

Yeah--we're also responsible for creating Hitler's clone in a secret lab somewhere in one of our deserts. His rise to power is being orchestrated as I type this....

Sheesh.

I think you will find he's referring to the fact that American demand can prove to be the greatest determinant of a product's success (it wasn't anything anti-American).

davethegame

Explorer
This year has been pretty great for RPGs, no matter your preferences. My top picks have been:

Fiasco, Gamma World (& Famine in Far-Go), Dark Sun Campaign Guide, Demonomicon, MM3, Monster Vault, Rules Compendium (those 4 books alone are powering my 4e campaign right now), Leverage RPG (especially when it hits print), Dresden Files

Treebore

First Post
I should add that I really enjoyed the Reavers of Harkenwold adventure in the DM's Kit. 2010 has really shown us that WotC can create good adventures (although, sadly, it's also the year that Dungeon stopped publishing adventures most months).

I think you will find he's referring to the fact that American demand can prove to be the greatest determinant of a product's success (it wasn't anything anti-American).

Yes. I read this years "State of the Mongoose", and in it American sales are specifically cited as to why this product line is being discontinued.

So coma on America! Catch on to the coolness of Judge Dredd! He isn't Sylvester Stallone!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads