• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best RPG for my vacation with the wife

SlyFlourish

SlyFlourish.com
Supporter
So my wife and I are headed out of town for a nice relaxing weekend. We're both A1 certified geeks and I'd like to bring a fun RPG for some one-on-one roleplaying (keep your mind out of the gutter, plz thx).

I'm not looking for anything too heavy. We've done some one-on-one D&D Miniature skirmish games and had fun with that but I wanted to try something new.

Right now I have two options:

1. I put together the D&D 4e starter kit into a zip-loc bag with everything we'd need for play. They managed to stick a whole lot of fun into such a small package with this one. It weighs about a pound.

2. I put together a Microlite 74 game pack with some 3x5 cards, the manual, and the required dice (3d6 and 1d20). This isn't bad but I don't really have an adventure to bring with it. It's also very rules light which may not work well for us since we're both 4e geeks.

3. I can go back to my tried and true D&D miniatures game with a skirmish map and a three or four PC and NPC-based warbands.

What other options are out there? What RPG game would you bring with you to get your D&D fix with two players and limited space?

ArghMark

First Post
Actually I'd suggest away from just RPGs.

There's a board game called Carcassone. It's awesome.

If you were to RP, I'd probably not use 4e; too much reliance on multiple characters. I might recommend something simple like Kobolds Ate My Baby or if you like spooky stuff Call of Cthulhu.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Might I suggest the Diplomat & French Maid LARP?

(couldn't resist)

I'd go with the DDM- easy set-up, and if you have to, you can leave the game at a moment's notice (still set up) and come back to it.

Rechan

Adventurer
Prime Time Adventures. Very RP oriented. It's about emulating TV shows, and the only real mechanics are cards. I don't know how it would hold up with one person, but should be intriguing.

Don't know if you could get it in time (don't know if there's a PDF out there).

Thondor

I run Compose Dream Games RPG Marketplace
I've always found that World of Darkness works well for one on ones. The core book is only 220pp and is a really a solid, fairly light (and unified in terms of rules), rp heavy game. (adding in the supernatural books generally adds more crunch and such). I find it easy to come up with on the fly scenes and stories with a players character concepts. Wouldn't ever need more then 10 d10s (you'd probably be good with six.)
Preferrably have the player make a character before hand.

If you play 3e, Microlite20 should play quite well for your purposes. Of course you probably already considered that given your post about Microlite74. I'd note that I ran a dungeon I had originally designed for 1e with Microlite20 with almost no changes. (First level characters also have more staying power to to Str=hp )

ProfessorPain

First Post
I would probably pick a game other than D&D if its just two people, or limit the D&D to skirmish scenarios. Have you ever played the board game Runebound? It sort of simulates the D&D experience, but you don't need a bunch of people to play (I believe its a 2-5 player game). Or you could go with a role play heavy system like Vampire--that seems to handle one character adventures pretty well.

Woas

First Post
My suggestion is Dogs in the Vineyard. Nice game that I think works better the fewer people you have playing, so would be great for a 1-1 game.

Jürgen Hubert

First Post
How about the Savage Worlds Explorers' Edition?

It's a very small and relatively slim book, and yet a very complete and flexible RPG. Though you'd still need a number of different dice (from d4 to d12).

Remove ads