• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best Sci-Fi/Cyberpunk PnP?

Arnwyn

First Post
Another recommendation for Cyberpunk 2020, by R. Talsorian.

(However, my group does prefer R. Talsorian's BGC [Bubblegum Crisis] books using the Fuzion system, which we've mashed a bunch of Cyberpunk 2020 in [with a host of other stuff], but that's just us. I know Fuzion isn't well-liked around here... :) It does have a good mix of cybernetics, robots, as well as limited space travel.)

Aus_Snow

First Post
Arnwyn said:
Another recommendation for Cyberpunk 2020, by R. Talsorian.

(However, my group does prefer R. Talsorian's BGC [Bubblegum Crisis] books using the Fuzion system, which we've mashed a bunch of Cyberpunk 2020 in [with a host of other stuff], but that's just us. I know Fuzion isn't well-liked around here... :) It does have a good mix of cybernetics, robots, as well as limited space travel.)
Good call. Actually, Fuzion is definitely worth a look, IMO. A lot of things can be done with it (see Artesia, f'rex) and to good effect, at times.

Interlock is a bit more streamlined overall, but Fuzion brings with it its own benefits. It'll suit some GMs better.

jester47

First Post
Battletech 3025 for the universe, but built around a real 3D starchart rather than the old piechart inner sphere model. The houses are there, but in an odd way.
CP2020 as the RP system. Its gritty and its dark. And it still uses lead.
Transhuman Space for the Lost Technology and achievment and travel within a star system.
Throw in weird cults and modern religions altered by the march of time and technology.

When you do this it gets a feel of somthing like Lynch's vision for DUNE.

With Transhuman Space you get a good idea of what is happening in the star systems that are inhabited. The nanotech and AI make mechs mysterous creations that people have a hard time repairing. There are droids but not that common. The owners of these machines are truely the nobility. With bioengineering, Humanity has gone from being human to transhuman and then back to human with occasional weird differences. Net runners can take out mechs by hacking in on their com links, thus communications durring battle are kept to a minimum.

Think of the black and white art from the first edition Mechwarrior.

Last edited:

Fallen Seraph

First Post
Thanks for all the help it sounds like Cyberpunk 2020 is best for my game.

Umm... To make sure it suits best this is my current idea for the game/some various things I have in the game:

- History:

The polar-reverse did more damage then originally thought. As society in the early 21st century crumbled to a halt; the various Developed Nations ceasing to function their machines and electronics no longer functional. Various wars and new powers aroused.

The corporations, specifically the corporation, "Tammuz" who brought about a economic boom and world-shaking cultural/technological revolution with the creation of the first "New-Born" or more commonly called "replicant".

Now Africa, the Middle East and Southern Asia are the most wealthy countries in the world. However though they were still effected by the rest of the world shuddering under the weight of their countries collapse. War and pollution became rampant and the world cooled. Now it is common to see snow in even the Sahara.

-General Info:

While many corporations control much of the world, most are subsidiaries of Tammuz. Almost everyone works for or within a City-State managed by a corporation each with their own; banks, military, currencies, religions, etc.

Various specific objects of the world (these are things I use in most of my sci-fi):

Ripper Pistol: The Ripper is a common sidearm of criminals and sadists. The Ripper is a medium-sized pistol, which using rail-gun technology fires twin serrated metal disks at a target at high-speeds.

Metal Storm: Most conventional military and civilian arms use Metal Storm technology to propel the built that are loaded into the barrel in rows and fired with a electric charge.

LOST: LOST stands for Low Orbit Strike Teams. These teams are used for quick, efficient strikes on military targets they are dropped out of a Troop-Carrier in low orbit where they pummel down towards the target at the end of the drop they level out their feet to the ground and crash down. The hydraulic systems built into their boots and the rest of the armour absords the fall.

Stilsa-Wire: Stilsa-Wire is a very-fine wire that can be used in numerous military ways, this wire is razor-sharp and is attached to a small power-pack that causes it to vibrate at high speeds to allow the breaking down of molecular matter. The most common methods of use are; hovering hunter-seeker robots trailing a strand of the wire which is used to wrap around a victims neck, mouse-trap style booby traps and "tumbleweed" grenades.

Last edited:

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
I would recommend CP2020 for your basic system. It's one of the best to cover the genre I've seen. IMO better than Fusion which was partially developed from it. If you need mecha or space combat I'd advise you use a minigame approach to that. When you go from personal to mecha rules go from your personal level system to say Battletech or Mekton for vehicle scale combat. Same thing with any space combat, use something like Jovian Chronicles

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
Fallen Seraph said:
Metal Storm: Most conventional military and civilian arms use Metal Storm technology to propel the built that are loaded into the barrel in rows and fired with a electric charge.
Metal Storm technology hasn't been adopted for a reason, it's just not suited to those applications. It's not efficient at a small arms level. Only once you reach the mounted system level does it begin to compete with conventional systems. If you see it anywhere you'd see it on expendable gunpods and area-denial devices.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
Could future-methods/advanced technology be able to make better methods of it?

My world's Metal Storm pistols/rifles generally consist of 2-4 barrels each firing their bullets who are helped along by a extra propellant encased in the bullet's sabot. Alot of the bullets are high-yield as well so quite large (armour being very tough as it is).

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
Fallen Seraph said:
Could future-methods/advanced technology be able to make better methods of it?

My world's Metal Storm pistols/rifles generally consist of 2-4 barrels each firing their bullets who are helped along by a extra propellant encased in the bullet's sabot. Alot of the bullets are high-yield as well so quite large (armour being very tough as it is).
The problem with MetalStorm isn't end effect so much as inaccuracy and the weight factor and no amount of technology is going to help the second. The technique of bullet stacking creates a situation where the rounds don't all have the same aimpoint or trajectory, too much margin of error. Only way this can be solved is guided projectiles. Second is insurmountable and it's the weight/effect curve. A metalstorm weapon doesn't have a magazine, the barrel is the magazine, reloading involves swapping the loaded barrel. And in order to withstand the stresses of firing barrels have to be very strong. Which also means they're much heavier than a magazine of equal capacity. So troops end up carrying less ammo with lower accuracy.

If you want to showcase an advanced firearm technology use liquid propellants. A bullet is chambered and liquid propellant is injected then electrically ignited. Think of it like the combustion chamber in an engine block, and the cylinder is a bullet. Liquid propellants can achieve far greater impulse than solid propellants and moving propellant from inside a cartridge to a single tank increases the unit per volume.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
I shall look into that, thanks :)

Hmm... Been looking at Cyberpunk 2020... It is nice, except for one thing that is a big-sticking point... It is a Class system. I honestly would be quite happy for a good Cyberpunk supplement for the storytelling system (new one, not old). If one exists.

Deekin

Adventurer
DM_Jeff said:
I'd suggest Alternity.

It even still has a thriving community at www.alternityrpg.net.

-DM Jeff

Agreed. Alternity is pure win when it comes to anything Sci-Fi, and has the best space combat system ever in Warships

Fallen Seraph said:
I shall look into that, thanks :)

Hmm... Been looking at Cyberpunk 2020... It is nice, except for one thing that is a big-sticking point... It is a Class system. I honestly would be quite happy for a good Cyberpunk supplement for the storytelling system (new one, not old). If one exists.

Alternity is a Semi-Class based system. It has 4 "Classes", but all they really do is give a small package of neat abiltys, and determine the cost of skills, which are everything in this game.

Remove ads