Best Science Fiction RPGs

Stormonu

Legend
Others that are out of print, but can still be acquired (PDF version or buying the old books):

Battlestar Galactica (using the Cortex system), based off the recent TV series
Firefly/Serenity (using the Cortex system), based off the TV series
Battletech/Mechwarrior, FASA's game of giant robot combat
Jovian Chronicles, another giant robot genre game
Fading Suns, think of Dune - before Paul Atreidies
Gamma World, post-apocalyptic sci-fi mash-up (many different versions, the most recent is based off 4E)
Aliens, based off the Alien/Aliens movie (very hard to find)
Space D6, WEG's generic space opera system
Star Wars D6, WEG's version that helped bring a Star Wars revival (and, IMNSHO, the best Star Wars version)
Star Trek, with versions done by FASA, Last Unicorn Games and Decipher (Decipher being my favorite)

As others have mentioned, there is also Alternity - it was a really good system that was cut down in it's prime, because it "wasn't D&D".

doghead

thotd

In addition to Jovian Chronicles, Dream Pod 9 also does Heavy Gear and Gear Kreig. All three are combination tactical miniatures/RPG game. More geared to the tactical miniature side of things, the RPG system was fairly simple, but worked well enough from memory.

Precise Intermedia Games has Hard Nova ][ as part of its Genre Diversion line, which also includes Coyote Trails (western setting), Earth AD (post cataclysm) and Ghost Stories (um, ghosts and stuff) as well as a bunch of add ons (zombies, anyone?). The system is fairly simple and designed to be modular, but the way it is presented can be a bit confusing.

Diaspora by VSCA Publishing advertises itself as Hard SciFi Role Playing with Fate and describes itself (in the introduction) as sort of a love child of Traveller and Spirit of the Century.

Oh, yeah. SLA Industries, if you like a bit of mad-crazy with your SciFi. WotC owned this one for a while, then Cubical 7. I think Nightfall Games has it now, although all they seem to offer is scanned copies of the original books. Their website is about as comprehensible as the setting. But god it was fun.

thotd

Deepfire

First Post
1 - Traveller (Mongoose/13Mann or classic - don't know if 5e is worth a try)

2 - Spacemaster (Privateers or II)

3 - Transhuman Space (and GURPS SPACE in general)

4 - Eclipse Phase (bäm!)

5 - Mindjammer (great book! Worth every cent)

dm4hire

Explorer
Others that are out of print, but can still be acquired (PDF version or buying the old books):

Battlestar Galactica (using the Cortex system), based off the recent TV series
Firefly/Serenity (using the Cortex system), based off the TV series
Battletech/Mechwarrior, FASA's game of giant robot combat
Fading Suns, think of Dune - before Paul Atreidies
Gamma World, post-apocalyptic sci-fi mash-up (many different versions, the most recent is based off 4E)
Aliens, based off the Alien/Aliens movie (very hard to find)
Space D6, WEG's generic space opera system
Star Wars D6, WEG's version that helped bring a Star Wars revival (and, IMNSHO, the best Star Wars version)
Star Trek, with versions done by FASA, Last Unicorn Games and Decipher (Decipher being my favorite)

As others have mentioned, there is also Alternity - it was a really good system that was cut down in it's prime, because it "wasn't D&D".

Firefly is actually current. Though still waiting for the book to come out.

I also never saw Alternity being cut because it "wasn't D&D" as much as Wizards dropped it in favor of Star Wars. Which you have to admit is a much more popular sci-fi setting for them to have worked with.

Evenglare

Adventurer
Several people have asked me for a glance at what I have been working on the past couple of years with my (what I like to call) Mythic Sci Fi. I wanted to blend fantasy and space together in a pretty intimate way, I'm aware I'm not the first to do this but nothing out there really stuck with me. I wanted to play in a universe where I could pick some of my favorite archetypes from the many shows and games I play. I am completely and fully aware that many of these things are shameless ripoffs, however I'd like to think I have given everything a nice blend to work together. Anyway, here are some of my races, I even managed to contact an artist to do some work for me but sadly I have lost contact with him. I should mention that my Lumina race and Terra race were not drawn so they do not appear here. I also have several more classes. Actually lately I have been sort of converting to 5e instead of working in the 13th age framework but I still love the system. Another thing that isn't shown here are my "Icons" which I call Avatars. They are sentient constellations that move around the galaxy (which is actually a metal galaxy after milky way and andromeda have collided, it is called the expanse.), they are essentially gods. Anyway, without further stalling here are a few things.

Here is a little cut out for my bardish class called an Acoustica. Uses a mechanic to string together different effects that result in songs. You make up your own songs with this system.
Acoustica.png

Norn
The Norn species are a species that are obsessed with temporal mechanics. There are several sects of Norn that perform various tasks. The temporal knights ensure the river of time is not tampered with. Others invoke their will and powers on others in small ways, slowing or speeding up time. Many rogue Norn known as Tempists seek discord using their powers haphazardly changing sections of space in unpredictable ways.
Norn.jpg

Metan
The Metan are a race composed mainly of metallic compounds. Their homeworld is actually are large asteroid field that surrounds the galactic core. The central command of which is called Ceres. The metan have several clans formed in the names of Elemental alloys and metals. The Metan create massive galactic and stellar structures to live on. The asteroid field that surrounds the galactic core is actually organized into a hexagonal crystaline structure that gathers energy from the active nucleus. The Metan are known for crafting superb weapons and shells. Their shells are surpassed by none other.
Metan.jpg

Mechanis
The mechanis are isons which have chosen to resurrect a race of machines that have been extinct for a millennia. These isons have chosen to sever their connection with the central pulse, and forever inhabit their mechanis bodies. The Mechanis are currently on rocky terms with the Ison having chosen to live a separate lives from the collective. The ison also find enemies in the Metan, due to the fact that the Ison are inhabiting an ancient race known as the mechanis. The original mechanis were wiped out by a virus originated by the Metan along with the Lumina and Symphon using Metallic Harmonic Resonance rendering the original mechanic minds inert.
Mechanis.jpg

Ison
The Ison have been said to have spontaneously been created by the weave. The ison have arisen from the weave subprograms and created their home in the streams. Isons are linked together and have one universal brain, though they still retain their individuality providing specific functions of the society. Similar to how limbs on a human have different functions yet all are serviced by a central brain known as the pulse.

The weave is a new force that has arisen from time and folding of space. As such computational arrays have been integrated into the weave essentially creating a universal web which allows any creation to use it.

The weave constantly grows and forms new connections like synapses in a brain. These ways are also how travel through the expanse is achieved like roads through the galaxy.

ison_by_msttcousinduo-d613nz6.jpg

Gemin
The gemin are a subrace of metan composed of crystalline structures instead of metallic compounds.
Gemin.jpg

Elder
The Elder claim to have been the first race to have ever existed. Some even claim to have brought life to the universe in their image. The elder have large eyes and pointed ears. Unlike most races the elder experience the full breadth of the electromagnetic spectrum, they have no sense of taste, smell, sound or even tactile functions. Instead these are sensed by electric and magnetic fluctuations.
elder_by_msttcousinduo-d613nuh.jpg

Dark Elder
The Dark Elder are a subspecies of the elder that have been mutated by dark energy by living on the edges of the expanse. As a result this race has a remarkable control over forces exerted by dark energy and dark matter. They have formed an alliance with the ataxia a race originating from outside the expanse originating from the dark recesses of the void.
dark_elder_by_msttcousinduo-d613o5b.jpg

Botan
The Botan are a race of sentient plants. As such they vary wildly in appearance depending on their home world. Many Botan take the path of the Natura. Botan have no need to eat or drink as they synthesize materials of sustenance from photosynthesis. The Botan have many different forms as they venture to other planets and colonies and take on the form of the natural flora. Some Botan are not necessarily plant based but Fungal based as well.
botan_by_msttcousinduo-d613ngg.jpg

Binary
binary_by_msttcousinduo-d60d9iv.jpg

Ataxia
The ataxia are a race that come from outside the expanse living in the eternal void. They are defined by their inky black skin. They embody the negative space and make terrifying opponents. The Ataxia were banished long ago by the Lumina and have recently found their way back into the galaxy through their newfound allies of the Dark Eldar.
ataxia_by_msttcousinduo-d60d9nm.jpg

ataxia.jpg

Ataxia head.jpg

Arbiter Class
Arbiters are usually charismatic and able to turn the tides of an encounter by use of their charm and strategy. Arbiters are sometimes accompanied by a Photonic Assisting Companion or PAC for short. PACs are normally used for body guarding duty to protect their masters. PACS can be formed in many different ways suited to the Arbiter’s needs.
ArbiterPAC temp.png

Anima
The anima are a Hivemind of organic species. Technology is grown and cultivated rather than built. They assimilate technology and reproduce the efficiency in stem cells. The Anima do not have a homeworld, at least one that is known. Most anima have a seed they placed into planets to assimilate the life of the planets.
Anima.jpg

Ethereal
Ethereal.png

Title Page
Aether Title.png

Symphon
The Symphon are a race of sonic based creatures. There are 7 Houses of the Symphon which live in a solar system that utilizes the notion of the music of the spheres. A belief that the universe can be known through orbits and complex rotations of planets , each producing a single note in the tapestry of the cosmos. In ancient times this notion was relegated only to the system of Tonis. Yet now in the expanse the Symphon try to understand a symphony vast and complex created by every physical phenomenon from the rotation of the galactic plane to the pulse of subatomic particles.
The Symphon have 7 major houses to which the races belong: Ionia, Doria, Phrygia, Lydia, Mixolydia, Aeolia, Locria.

symphon.jpg

Attachments

• Binary.png
    Binary.png
    57.7 KB · Views: 263

Firefly is actually current. Though still waiting for the book to come out.

And don't get confused - Firefly and Serenity aren't the same game at all. Firefly is a rolling, backfiring romp of the sort I'd love to play Police Academy with. Or any other game where things spiral out of control ridiculously. Light, fast, entertaining, and makes you think on your feet. Serenity is much grittier and to me the rules system is simply ugly.

Mikaela Barree

First Post
I gotta shill for a moment about my own game, The Singularity System, which is setting-neutral and has really fun vehicle and starship combat. If anyone wants me to go further into it, I totally will. I can talk an ear off about that game.

But I still loves me some Shadowrun and Eclipse Phase. Depending on how you run a Hero campaign I can see that going quite well for future-y stuff as well (though I've honestly only used it for contemporary and fantasy stuff).

Remove ads