• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best single volume RPG?

johnnype

First Post
The 1st or 2nd edition Heavy Gear rulebook are entirely self contained. They include not only RPG rules but tactical battle rules as well. Fun as hell too.

Tetsubo

First Post
Geoffrey said:
The 1st edition of Gamma World from 1978. The rulebook is only 56 pages long! Here is my review of it: http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12358

While I have endless love and fond memories of GW 1E I think that the 4E version is a better single volume book. It has actual skills, classes, playable animal and plant races and a background tech level that works really well... But you'll pry my copy of GW 1E out of my cold dead hands...

GlassJaw

Hero
Grim Tales - only book you ever need, barring some kind of setting (but that's optional).

I also like Conan OGL, Shadowrun (I would take SR4 over SR3), and d6 Star Wars (2ed).

For completeness, Spycraft would definitely be on the list. The thing is, it's not one of favorite "all-in-one" rulesets. It's just way too cumbersome and nowhere near as fun as the other systems I mentioned.

From a rules-tinkerer standpoint, it's amazing and chock full of stuff. But to actually play? No thanks.

jonathan swift

First Post
Spirit of the Century
Burning Empires
Savage Worlds
Scion: Hero (it is a standalone book. uses a stripped down version of the Exalted system, not the WoD version)
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 2nd Edition
Mechwarrior 2nd Edition

YourSwordIsMine

First Post
johnnype said:
The 1st or 2nd edition Heavy Gear rulebook are entirely self contained. They include not only RPG rules but tactical battle rules as well. Fun as hell too.

Yes, that was a very good book.

I would still say Mutants and Materminds 2e.
Even though Ultimate Power is such an awesome addition, it technically not needed.

MnM2e is by far one of the most adaptable systems I've seen in quite some time. And definitely my current favorite.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Crothian said:
I need to mention Fear Itself . This is a new game by Robin Laws that I just ran yesterday and it is one of the best horror games I've ever come across. It might be the second best following Dread in terms of mechanics that perfectly fit and support exactly what the game wants to do.

All of the GUMSHOE games thus far are very impressive (to me, at least).

Remove ads