• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best single volume RPG?

Flynn

First Post
GlassJaw said:
Grim Tales - only book you ever need, barring some kind of setting (but that's optional).

As you know, I'm a big fan of Grim Tales, but I have to admit that I don't feel it's a complete book, in and of itself, simply because there are no creatures/monsters available, and the magic system tends to rely on spells from other OGL systems. Now, truth be told, it does have rules for creating monsters, so technically, I suppose I should agree that it is a one book system. However, the text emphasizing it as a toolkit that takes advantage of other OGL resources removed it initially from my previous answer. It's just a great game to tinker with...

So yes, I think I'd dare say, with that reminder, that my choices would actually be D20 Modern, Grim Tales, Traveller T20 and Star Wars Saga Edition, in that order.

With Regards,
Flynn

Wombat

First Post
Best one-volume game, eh?

Difficult parameters, to be certain.

Take for example Pendragon -- I love this game! The core book contains everything you need to run a campaign ... but it is not a campaign to many people's tastes and is very constrained in what it can do. Same is true for Call of Cthulhu; unless people are really into the setting (and a very specific take on the setting), the game is of little use.

Paranoia XP is a little better in that regard, but still a single setting.

Oddly, one game with a single rulebook that seems to fall into that category but doesn't (at least for me) is Over The Edge -- yes, the setting is Al Amarja, but the core rules are so simple, so transparent that you can adapt them to a host of settings. I have used OTE for the base setting, for superheroes, pulp adventures, Cthulhu-esque, fantasy, and about six-eight variants on the above. This probably earns my "one volume" spot. It is also the game that I have used to introduce more non-gamers to gaming than any other books, which strikes me as a selling point.

The old RuneQuest (2nd ed) was also pretty decent that way, though a bit oddly constrained. Still, I have a soft spot in my heart for it.

Ars Magica would probably also fall in this category, either 4th or 5th edition -- different takes on the same base theme. While all the supplements are certainly nice, the core rules are all that you need for a good game; I have also worked up variant games (not using Mythic Europe as a base) from this material to rather surprising ends.

World of Darkness (the current core-book version) has been mentioned and I think deserves some serious thought. The system itself is elegant and simple, easy to move to a variety of gaming situations without the need for angst or even vampires. That, to my mind, is the hallmark of an intersting one volume game.

So, a few disparate notions... ;)

sjmiller

Explorer
Rodrigo Istalindir said:
(DragonQuest is) Ahead of its time in many respects, although the magic system was nigh unplayable.
Wow, I found the magic system easy to play, adaptable, and gave a certain element of risk to spell casting that D&D has always lacked. I have adapted the DQ magic system to a host of other RPGs. I even used it to add a magical element to Traveller when I adapted that game to Doctor Who. That's a completely different thread, however.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
My top 1-book examples would be

Runequest 2nd Edition - great 'realistic' feel, wonderful setting, just converting it for Eberron at the moment ;)

Bushido - combat, social encounters, wars, world building, all in one slim volume

For more recent games, probably (in this order)

Star Wars Saga Edition - so much done really right here

Spycraft 2.0 - tonnes of new great rules and subsystems

Conan OGL - captures the basic Hyborian age feel very nicely

catsclaw227

First Post
Add a vote for Savage Worlds, Explorer's Edition. Great game, small package, great price.

What is the difference between Runequest 2nd Ed and Mongoose's Runequest?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads