• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best source for a non-LA PC-playable minotaur?

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
I'm interested in finding a resource—Fan-site, ebook, printed book, made up on the spot, 3rd party, WotC, whatever—for a non-Level Adjusted, PC version of a minotaur. I don't want a version where the PC substitutes out class levels every now and then while the minotaur "grows up" by taking "minotaur levels". No thanks.

I don't need it to simulate the Monster Manual version, or even be a mini-me version that will graduate into the MM equivalent later on. I'd be happy if it isn't a Large-sized character also, though Medium-size big enough is good enough.

I want to know if someone out there made a version like the standard PHB races where you get racial abilities, racial ability modifiers right at 1st level and don't suffer some level adjustment.

I have to imagine many have tried this already. Are there any standouts our there?

Vespucci

First Post
Ah. I was going to suggest stretching the Savage Species monster class out to ten levels (hence, a HD at every level) or maybe even twenty level (though this would require filling out the top end).

You're sure race-as-class isn't going to work?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
In all honesty, I haven't seen anything like this since Complete Book of Humanoids and the original Dragonlance.

It's possible they were included in the 3Ed version of the setting, but even though I own it, I practically haven't looked at it since I got it home.

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
I forgot about Dragonlance (*facepalm*). I recalled there was a fan version of Taladas, I just searched my way there and found it over on Dragonlance Nexus. It is pre-3.5.

In the downloadable document this is what the non-LA PC minotaur has.
Minotaurs Racial Traits
  • +2 Strength, +2 Charisma, –2 Intelligence, –2 Wisdom. Minotaurs are a physical people, less interested in the pursuits of the mind than those of the sword, but are far less brutish than their Ansalonian cousins.
  • Large: As Large-size creatures, minotaurs can carry twice as much weight as a human can and use larger weapons (see page 96 of the Player’s Handbook). However, minotaurs suffer a size penalty of –1 to attack rolls, –1 Armour Class, and –4 to Hide checks.
  • Minotaur base speed is 30 feet.
  • The sharp fangs and long horns that all minotaurs possess ensure that they are never considered unarmed; thus, minotaurs who make unarmed strikes do not provoke an attack of opportunity. Furthermore, minotaurs can choose to deal subdual or lethal damage with unarmed attacks.
  • +2 racial bonus on sailing Profession checks; Minotaurs are well known for their naval interests.
  • +2 racial bonus to surprise rolls; minotaurs benefit from natural cunning and sharp senses.
  • +2 racial bonus on Intuit Direction checks: these include locating north, not getting lost in a large city, finding known landmarks in the wilderness, and escaping from mazes. In addition, minotaurs have a special immunity to the maze spell.
  • +2 racial bonus on the Diplomacy skill.
  • Automatic Languages: Kothian. Bonus Languages: Auric, Silvanesti, Thenolian, Uigan. Minotaurs learn the languages of the major powers of their region.
  • Favoured Class: Fighter. A multiclass minotaur’s fighter class does not count when determining whether he suffers an XP penalty for multiclassing (see Experience for Multiclass Characters, page 56 of the Player’s Handbook).
I think I could swap out Large for the 3.5 goliath's powerful build. Polish up the rest of the abilities in 3.5 terms, swap out Dragonlance names. This could work . . .

Empirate

First Post
Dragonlance Campaign Setting, 3E, has PC-playable Minotaurs all right. Flavor is a bit different, though (pirate-slavers, seafarers).

xigbar

Explorer
Personally, I'm a fan of Savage Species. The monster progressions offer a fun alternative for lower levels, where you usually don't get to play high LA creatures. Everything suggested earlier would work though.

Remove ads