• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best Sword (Or any weapon type) Fights ever?

Hi all! :)

I finally got to see the movie Troy last night and I must admit I was very impressed by the fight choreography in general, particularly in the scense with Achilles.

It would be great to see that calibre of fight choreography applied to a future D&D movie - one area of Wrath of the Dragon God that I felt let down in was the fight choreography. Surely fight choreographers are not expensive...are they?

So I am just wondering, what movies have great fight scenes in them. If you need to sub-categories, I am thinking:

1. Favourite One-on-one Fight.
2. Favourite Skirmish.
3. Favourite Battle Scene.

My choices:

1. Achilles vs. Hector (Troy)
2. Assault on the Temple of the Blood God (Zu: Warriors of the Magic Mountain)
3. (Return of the King) The big battle near the end of the movie.

There are probably others I am forgetting at the moment, so I might change or add to the above list.

sniffles

First Post
For the "big battle near the end of the movie" in ROTK, I think you're referring to the battle of Pelennor Field, which is also one of my favorites for a big battle scene. :)

Favorite one-on-one fight: Jet Li vs. Donnie Yen, the first fight in "Hero".

Skirmish: The "laundry" duel in "The Three Musketeers" (the 1974 version, starring Richard Chamberlain, Oliver Reed & Michael York).

Endur

First Post
ROTK and Gladiator have great fights.

From older movies, you have Spartacus and various Errol Flynn and Kirk Douglas movies from the 40's-60's.

Dreeble

First Post
Heya:

I liked the fight between Jackie Chan's character and the dual wielding sword guy in Shanghai Knights. I'm no expert on swordfighting, but I thought the choreography of that fight was well done. The two swords guy's movements looked graceful and effective. Also, it really felt like a two swords style, and not a sword-and-parrying-dagger style, if you know what I mean.

Take care,
Dreeble

Staffan

Legend
I'm not sure it's the best fight scene in the history of ever, but Inigo Montoya vs. the Man in Black is certainly one of the best.

KenM

Banned
Banned
1. Samwise Gamgee vs. Shelob in The Retrun of the King.
2. The fight in Balian's (SP?) tome in Fellowship of the Ring.
3. Seige of Minas Tirath(SP?) in The Return of the King.

Last edited:

Wombat

First Post
For sheer length of performance there is Scaramouche, which I believe still holds the record for the longest single sword duel in cinematic history

I love most of the Errol Flynn duels, simply because they are so much fun!

The sword fights in the Three & Four Musketeers are a joy to watch; ditto for The Princess Bride. I also enjoy the fights in The Duellists

For big battles, one cannot go far wrong with some of the big scenes by Kurasawa (especially in Kagemusha) or the larger battles in The Lord of the Rings.

The best? I dunno. I just love to watch a good sword fight; I'd be hard pressed to choose a "best"

One-on-one (well, two-on-one in this case): Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan vs. Darth Maul in Star Wars Episode 1. 'Nuff said.

Skirmish: Tequila (Chow Yun Fat) vs. a whole crapload of gun-wielding baddies in the teahouse scene at the beginning of Hard Boiled.

Battle: A lot of people are going for Pellenor Fields in RotK, but I'm going to give this one to the Battle of Helm's Deep in TTT. That one had some serious drama, a more rousing (and less "deus ex machina") victory, and a scale that was a little easier for the viewer to follow.

Lazybones

Adventurer
Staffan said:
I'm not sure it's the best fight scene in the history of ever, but Inigo Montoya vs. the Man in Black is certainly one of the best.
Rats, beat me to it.

"I'm not left handed either." :)

BluWolf

Explorer
Absolutely Inigo & & Wesley. Great fight.

I have not wathed it in while but the young girl that is Jade Fox in "CTHD" and all the guys in the Tea house.

That was just awesome.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads