Best Traits for a Melee Ranger

mjz

Explorer
To try to give you all relevant info -

I am playing in the Serpant’s Skull Pathfinder Campaign Path. My character is a human ranger from the Mwangi Expanse (a native of the jungles we will be adventuring in). Str 14 Dex 16 Con 13 Int 13 Wis 13 Cha 7 (point buy, and I usually play wizards and just could not bear to completely dump intelligence; sue me). I will be going into the 2-weapon combat style, and trying to make the most of the magic I will be given as a spellcaster. The two free traits I have taken are “Carefully Hidden” (a human trait), and Magical Knack – Ranger (a magic trait).

We have an alchemist (who has a crossbow & bombs especially good against constructs and undead), an oracle (who will evidently get good ranged spells), a cleric of Desna (who is a buffer with a low strength), a monk (who doesn’t want to use weapons, but is a good fighter), and myself. We do seem to have 2 people who can do ranged attacks well. So, I will be the team’s nature / survival expert, and a melee fighter. Another player suggested this because they didn’t have enough melee, and he had heard that there would be some good weapons maybe appearing in this campaign.

We are not using standard drawbacks. My GM has offered to let us make 1 roll on the Hackmaster flaws table in trade for 1-3 traits, if we accept the flaw. My roll generated a flaw of being blind in one eye (the GM decided that in Pathfinder, for this flaw, this means -4 to attack at range and -2 to attacks of opportunity), but that this flaw (like a super-sized drawback) is worth 3 traits. I do not have to take the flaw. But, obviously, if I do not take the flaw, I cannot take the 3 traits.

tl;dr

Are there 3 more traits that make it worth it, mechanically, to take this flaw? If so, what are the best ones for this character, a melee ranger, to take?

Remove ads