• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best Value for Money RPG Purchase

eris404

Explorer
demiurge1138 said:
A subscription to Dungeon Magazine. Specifically, for the year Age of Worms was published. Ne'er before have I gotten a full campaign's worth of work out of a single product (although, of course, I'm doing plenty of my own kitbashing on it to tailor it to my game group and my personal preferences).

I agree totally. I'll add Dragon, too, since I often get ideas from there (although not as much as from Dungeon). Also, eTools has made my life so much easier.

Crothian

First Post
Orignal Thieves World box set. I've been using that thing for twenty years.

Aurara's Whole Realms catalog. It is always useful.

Those are the two most used gaming products I own. :D And I love to use them together. ;)

Arkham

First Post
Ultimate Martial Artist, UNTIL Superpowers Database, Dark Champions ( hell, most Hero Systme books are like that ), Magic of Faerun, Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting, Complete Arcane, and Gary Gygax's Extraordinary Book of Names.

Glyfair

Explorer
Eberron Campaign Setting - unless you count a campaign setting as a "Core Rulebook." I think most people who play in a campaign setting or run one would consider the setting book as having a high value to price ratio.

Griffon Mountain - Years of possible plot hooks, interesting NPCs, great setting material.

Forgotten Realms Interactive Atlas - In combination with Campaign Cartographer, this has gotten a huge amount of use. If I need a tavern map, I search for the tavern maps, find one I need, and then customize it to fit my needs. Even though I've never played in the Forgotten Realms, I've had more than my fair share of value from this. Plus, I got it at a large discount at EB.

Shadowdancer

First Post
Traveller T20 Handbook. There is so much usable stuff in there for non-Traveller games, esp. games involving space travel. But the design systems allow you to create technology items for any tech level. Star system design system allows you to create solar systems for any system. Ship design system allows you create star ships for any system. Trade system can be used to handle trading for any system.

The new Secrets of Xen'drik book also is packed with useful stuff that can easily be adapted to other settings and games.

Stalker0

Legend
The Hero Builder's Guidebook. Got it for like 5 bucks, crappy book overall, but the background generator is so useful it has helped create wonderful backgrounds for most of my characters and many of my friends.

luke_twigger

First Post
Sorry, I saw the "no core rulebook" proviso, yet I still have to nominate my WFRP rulebook from 1986 as having *easily* seen the most use out of all my books.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads