• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best Value for Money RPG Purchase

Shadowslayer

Explorer
Can't pick just one.

1. Crucible of Freya. Best campaign starter ever IMO.

2. 1000 Faces-Villains and Scoundrels. A rogue's gallery of villainous NPCs. (I love books like this)

3. NPC Designer from RPGAttitude. Pick your race/critter, add levels, choose feats and skills you want, and it fills in the rest.

4. Wilderlands of High Fantasy Box set. I'll never need another setting, though I'm tempted to grab the new DCC setting...just for fun.

Eonthar

Explorer
The Shackled City Adventure Path book. Hands down.

My players and I have been having a blast with that adventure for about 9 months now - and we are not quite half-way through yet.

Particle_Man

Explorer
Can't believe I forgot this one:

Kingdoms of Kalamar: Dungeons Master's Screen. This thing is 10 kinds of awesome, even if you don't run a Kalamar campaign.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Dice. (duh!)

Chalkboard, chalk, brush.

Early-mid '80's era mini's.

Bigass teapot.

Graph paper and various colours of pen-pencil.

.....oh, you mean *books*! :)

1e DMG (yes, it's core, but it's the best value I've got out of any RPG purchase, ever)
1e Unearthed Arcana
Lost Temple of Tharizdun module (wins the value-for-module race hands down)
1e Forgotten Realms box set

Lanefan

Captain Howdy

Explorer
Excluding the core books, they get used every session:

1. Wilderlands of High Fantasy boxed set (the only campaign setting I'll ever need)

2. Shackled City Adventure Path hardcover (almost a year into it and still going)

3. Eberron Campaign Setting (I DM a Wilderlands game, but all the other games we play make use of this)

4. Best non-d20/D&D: Vampire The Masquerade core rulebook (I've had to replace this book twice because of all the wear it gets from being used so much)

5. Dice :D

sjmiller

Explorer
Olaf the Stout said:
What RPG product have you bought that has given you the best value for your money?

I think that we should ignore core rulebooks for this purpose as they would probably be most people's best value purchase otherwise.
Wow, would that be a big no for me. My D&D books are a dim comparison to my GURPS 3rd Ed. Basic book and all the GURPS suppliments. Those have, by far, been the best bang for the buck I have ever spent for gaming. I've used them to play GURPS and I have used the sourcebooks for every other game system I have used.

I would have said my LBB Traveller books, but I did not buy the boxed set. I got that for Christmas in 1979. Wow, was that a good Christmas!

Shade

Monster Junkie
Limiting myself to 3E/3.5...

• Dragon Magazine
  • Dungeon Magazine
  • Fiend Folio
  • Manual of the Planes
  • Monster Manual II
  • Lords of Madness
  • Fiendish Codex I (it's new, but I'll be referencing this thing for a long, long time)
  • Player's Handbook II (ditto)
  • Epic-Level Handbook (sure, it's flawed, but I've been DMing and playing in epic campaigns for the past few years)

Bobitron

Explorer
The books that have done the most to spark my imagination? The Iron Kingdoms Player's Guide and World Guide by Privateer Press.

Best non-core rule book or expansion? Unearthed Arcana by WoTC.

Remove ads