• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Best Virtual Table for 5E?

Meliath1742

First Post
Although I'm a big user of Roll20 I started delving into Fantasy Grounds this weekend since they've started a $10/month subscription. The program has a very tight GUI and more features than I can mention here. That's its major downside...there IS a learning curve. But I think it has great potential once you've figured it out. I struggled mightily getting it to communicate with its test server though. After many hours trying to get the port forwarding required to work I ended up having to load a VPN program called Hamachi to get it to work. Hamachi worked seamlessly. All in all I think it is one of the better formats out there.

PnPgamer

Explorer
Steam also has tabletop simulator, its biggest feature having 3d table and animated creatures. Also you can flip the table. Roll20 might be better though, as it is free.
You can also play other tabletop stuff, such as chess, checkers, cards against humanity, uno...

Last edited:

Hawkwind

Explorer
I'm a committed user of fantasy grounds myself, as a previous poster said there is a learning curve but its worth it, every thing auto calculates and i have the entire Players hand book and monster manual preloaded in game, if i want to do a random encounter I just put a monster from the game library and drop it on the combat tracker and put a token on map and everything from AC Hit points attacks and saves are automated for me. The only thing that the paid version of Roll20 does better is the fog of war and tablet support oh and the biggie of having to sort out your wifi router to get every thing to work! Roll20 is great for the price as its easy to get up running and it does run just like your table top game but if you want to free your self as the DM from the tyranny of paperwork, keeping track of hit points and remembering all the resistances and stats of your npc's and players and fancy having the level of automation you would expect from say neverwinter nights or the computer version of temple of Elemental Evil then Fantasy Grounds is the way to go

Dragonsbane

Proud Grognard
Roll20. Ease of use, tons of people, and you can pay 10 bucks a month to be able to use scripting in your game, which can do great things.

Been using it for over a year once a week for sessions, solid program.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads