D&D General Best VTT for the most players?

darjr

I crit!
I want to use a VTT but I wan’t to pick one that can reach the most players. I think I need one that will work across most peoples computers/tablets/phones or whatever. I wan’t to start running many more virtual games for virtual conventions and I’ve seem a few notes about folks not being able to run the the DM’S VTT of choice or with all the features enabled.

So anybody have an advice on that front?

I think it means I need to run Roll20 with most of the options turned off, but I’m not sure and I’d like to hear from a few other folks.

cmad1977

Hero
I ran a whole campaign with the free version of roll20. It worked out fine. The bells and whistles of dynamic lighting and fog of war are neat (and I like using them; my players too) but not necessary IMO.

Shiroiken

Legend
I think I need one that will work across most peoples computers/tablets/phones or whatever.
This is going to be a tricky aspect, as I know that Roll20 doesn't allow the use of mobile devices unless the user has a subscription (the app is terrible). You might want to consider Fantasy Grounds, as an Ultimate Subscription covers all the players in any game you run. It's pricey, but it might provide your needs.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Well, Roll20 is probably your best bet. Even with the subscription, however, don't bother with running VTTs on small devices. Character sheets and initiative tracking can be done on phones using lots of tools, but I have a hard time imaging a VTT experience being positive on a small screen.

The main benefit of Roll20 is that it doesn't require installing any software. Players just need a browser and internet connection. The only other fully web-based VTT that comes to mind is Astral VTT. Astral is great if you want to put int the time to set line of sight but Roll20 is far more evolved and can support even on-the-fly games where you use it as white board / digital chessex mat.

The main problem with Roll20 is players need a good internet connection. That's an issue with any VTT, except with Fantasy Grounds, d20pro, and Map Tools, the DM can run two instances on his computer and share the player view via webconference screenshare (Google Hangouts, MS Teams, Zoom, etc.) But I'm assuming you are looking for a full VTT experience with players moving their own tokens, etc.

I'll also say that I've tried VTTs from a variety of countries, including some with poor bandwidth and strong government censorship.

Roll20 would have problems when bandwidth got low, but at least I could access it. Fantasy Grounds and d20pro just won't work in some countries.

During Gary Con, I can to run a VPN on my cell phone, use 3G data paired to my laptop just so I could connect to Fantasy Grounds. It took a long time for the initial loading and maps took a while to load, but at least I could play. But I would never try to run a game like that. I know that some people have run games in Fantasy Grounds from China using a VPN and a tethered phone with 3G, but just using Roll20 would be much easier if you are not already invested in another platform.

I do recommend using something else for voice unless everyone in your group has great internet bandwidth. When playing Roll20 from areas with crappy internet, I'm generally running Discord, sometimes on my phone to ensure a good connection for the battlemap.

DMP

Villager
Roll 20 and discord for me I tried both R20 and Fantasy Grounds, I found roll20 more intuitive and Fantasy Grounds a lot more difficult to get to grips with. But I know of others that think the opposite . They are both free to try so worth playing about with both before you start to invest in all the bells and whistles.

Phenomen

Explorer
Roll20 and Foundry VTT are your best bets. Both works on any PC/big tablet since players connect with their browser for free (no license or any purchases needed). Roll20 free version is very limited but it has paid licensed WotC/Paizo content so you save time on prep. Foundry is a one-time purchase (for DM only) and does not have asset space or functionality limitations like Roll20 but there is no licensed content there so you will have to prep game yourself. Foundry is also much more moddable and there are hundreds of mods to enhance experience there.

R_J_K75

Legend
I've run 4-5 games now using free Roll20. I just started about a month or so ago due to quarantine. I haven't found it hard to use but it takes a little to figure out. Sitting through a few tutorials got me to a point to where I can run games, albeit a little clunky, but get the job done. The learning curve is pretty low, got me the results I needed, and Im incorporating a little bit more each game. In comparison Ive used Fantasy Grounds in the past and found it a little too complex but that may have been we just needed to put more time into learning it which was a little more than we were willing to do.

R_J_K75

Legend
The bells and whistles of dynamic lighting and fog of war are neat (and I like using them; my players too) but not necessary IMO.

In your opinion is it worth the money for the subscription to have access these features? What's the learning curve for a DM to implement them? I just started trying to figure out the fog of war yesterday and today and noticed it seemed a little limited.

Oofta

Legend
In your opinion is it worth the money for the subscription to have access these features? What's the learning curve for a DM to implement them? I just started trying to figure out the fog of war yesterday and today and noticed it seemed a little limited.
I've been playing with it a bit ... as a novice to Roll20 it seems cool but I'm concerned about it being buggy. Not sure if anyone else has hit the issues. Also still not 100% sure I even like it in play.

I'll know after my game this weekend.

Remove ads