• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best Way to Sell Used RPG Material?

Retreater

Legend
I have a ton of RPG books that I'm not using. I'd like to sell them to generate a little extra cash and to make some extra room around the house, but mostly to get these great titles in the hands of RPGers who are more active gamers than me who will use them.

Without getting into the specifics of what I want to sell, I'd like to know what's the best venue for 1) reaching the most gamers; and 2) getting the best prices.

I've been looking at Amazon marketplace and Ebay, but I see a ton of material sitting there not moving, perhaps due to ridiculously high prices.

Did I imagine a marketplace on ENWorld in the past?

Thanks,
Retreater

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Setting your opening price low on eBay is the key to getting the bidding started but gives no guarantee of getting a fair price, and it takes time. I mentioned some options in another thread recently -

http://www.enworld.org/forum/media-...geek-stuff/301422-where-donate-rpg-stuff.html

Check for Half Price Books in your area. Gamers don't mind getting a good deal on used books and there is no reason why you shouldn't get a few bucks back (and it will only be a few but better than nothing).

Half Price Books, Records, Magazines, Inc.

You might get more seeling through eBay but it takes more time and doesn't guarantee more.

Of ways to donate that don't glean you money there are several. Donating to a library is good, gets you nothing, and library books often get stolen anyway. I find some great deals at Goodwill stores, like a 3.5 PH a few weeks ago for $1.89 plus tax. Lower tier thrifts stores sometimes have good deals but I find inner city locatons tend to have so much traffic that books get damaged if they are there for any length of time. Suburban thrift stores tend to keep their book sections in better shapes and cheap deal can be had at them if you trawl them regularly.

Anyway, that's all of the options I can fathom. I'm a fan of Half Price Books and suggest you also sign up for their mailing which gets you regular coupons. You can use what they give you for your sold books in conjunction with a coupon on a gently used half price book for yourself or as a gift.

Gamers will wind up with those books eventually no matter which way you go.

Ranes

Adventurer
I've bought a number of collectible items in recent years, to replace things I foolishly allowed to escape my clutches long ago. I hope you find what I've learned useful.

First, I recommend www.theaceum.com. It's a website dedicated to collecting D&D and other RPG materials. You'll find useful discussions and guides on the worth of many specific items, as well as good advice on buying and selling. I recommend you register and contribute to a sticky thread in which new members can introduce themselves.

The rest of the advice I give you will mirror what you're told there. If you want to get the most for your items, do the following:

1. Make sure you know exactly what you have. If you have an old 1e PHB, for example, learn how to identify the different printings (there's a phenomenal amount of info on site to help) and advertise it accurately.

2. Be honest. Describe the condition truthfully. Photos help. Offer to provide them by email, if necessary. Be willing to answer potential buyers' questions.

3. For the best return, sell items separately. Use eBay. It will give you the greatest exposure. The Acaeum also has a classified advert section. You can advertiise directly to members or point them to your eBay listings. Please read the site's guidelines for using classifieds first. There's no cost to using classifieds.

4. Before you do any of this, don't be afraid to ask other members for information or advice. They love collectors and they're not out to defraud sellers. You're asking questions in an open forum, so you'll get impartial and honest responses.

Good luck.

Oh: and there's an interesting thread on collecting newer material - some of which is already quite sought after - so don't think people won't be interested just because your books weren't signed by Gary Gygax.

Last edited:

Treebore

First Post
If you have the Star Wars Saga Revised Core Rule book you can PM me about it. I'm in need of additional copies, 1 is not enough for our group.

scourger

Explorer
eBay is alot of work, and overall your returns will not be that great. In my experience, you might make out OK on things that are truly collectible or sought after; but you will work pretty hard to list, sell & ship all that stuff.

Noble Knight games is a great place to sell or trade stuff, and they advertise on this site (KODT, too, which is how I first found them several years ago). I've traded with them some, and it is very easy & convenient. Details are on their site. Aaron will even send you shipping labels to send your stuff to them. You can keep credit there and have the new release you want shipped straight to you. I hate for my FLGS to lose the business, but I need the space management. Plus, Noble Knight has a great selection of new & used RPG stuff to choose from. Here's alink:

NOBLE KNIGHT GAMES - Role Playing Games, RPG's, Board Games, Miniatures, Dungeons and Dragons - New & Out-of-Print

Either way, you may be disappointed in the market value of your collection; but at least you'll be making room and sending that material to someone who may use it.

freebfrost

Explorer
If you are willing to forego the extra cash until next year, I suggest donating the books to your local library.

It's tax deductible for next year, and it gets the books in the hands of many gamers.

Ghost2020

Adventurer
Just post it here or go to rpg.net under the sales forums and sell there.

Yes there used to be a marketplace here, but not sure what happened to it.

Retreater

Legend
If you are willing to forego the extra cash until next year, I suggest donating the books to your local library.

Unfortunately, the local library has no RPG collection and would not accept them (other to sell in a used booksale for $1 each.)

But thanks for the tip.

Retreater

Remove ads