D&D General better dark elves?

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
long term dark elves as you evil elves seem both likely to die and has too many unpleasant implications but what else could they be?

what other role could they take up past evil subversion?
not only about drow more all evil subversion options as well I wonder if there is anything left for them past the dustbin?

Scribe

Legend
long term dark elves as you evil elves seem both likely to die and has too many unpleasant implications but what else could they be?

what other role could they take up past evil subversion?
not only about drow more all evil subversion options as well I wonder if there is anything left for them past the dustbin?

Instead of being 'evil' and dark, just make them spiteful and terrible in the more legacy view on the term. That is, unless you dont want them to be a negative at all, in which case I point you to the 'lore developments' of post 2020.

Quickleaf

Legend
Well, attempting to ascribe a single role to a species/race is always going to lead to problematic stereotyping.

One possibility to focus on – among a plethora of possibilities – might be the drow as keepers of secret knowledge about the future. Leaning into myths about spiders and webs of destiny, which dovetails into who Lolth was among the Seldarine before she became a demon queen (i.e. Araushnee, goddess of destiny & artisans). Maybe they keep all these spiders to use their "silk" to create magnificent spidersilk tapestries with each strand you pull creating an illusion of a possible future event upon the tapestry. Like many prophets, maybe they've seen a cataclysm that awaits the surface dwellers, and they use this dire prophecy to justify their living isolated lives underground. You could flesh things out from there.

But that's just one idea, and might only apply to a portion of the drow population.

jgsugden

Legend
A good option these days is to not give an entire race a tendency to have a certain alignment, behavior set or personality. Instead, let them be individuals.

If handled well, I believe you can still have an origin story for a heritage like the drow that will result in many of them still being subject to a situation that limits their options. For example, a common story for drow is that Lolth's priestesses have used force to gain control of many drow cities and rule them with an iron thumb. I still have this as a common situation in my games. I do not feel it is problematic to have in my game.

Why?

1.) Because players are not encouraged to be subject to or part of this regime. While I have these drow in my game, I also have drow that are not part of these cities. Instead, they've made their way elsewhere and incorporated into other cities. A player can be any type of PC they want while playing a drow.

2.) Further, I put the spotlight on the individuals, not the drow heritage, as the villians. This is a game filled with bad actors. The heroes fight the bad actors. We need bad actors. Just as in the real world, some bad actors are beings that were raised within a culture that encourages acts that most other cultures call bad acts. The belief trained into them through that cultural act is part of who they are when the PCs encounter them. They lead their cities while prescribing to these beliefs. The PCs might fight them, or try to convince them their path is wrong, or engage with them in any other way. I try to emulate frictions we've seen in the real world as inspiration and focused my attention on the people that broke from the stereotypes.

There is criticism that having dark skinned drow be bad sends a wrong message. I was concerned about it, so in my world drow come in many shades. There are some that are dark skinned, but they cover a spectrum of tones including lavender, red, black and white. Most of my heritages come in at least 4 shades to reduce this concern.

theCourier

Adventurer
They're called the Dunmer. Multifaceted in terms of culture, religion, and politics. Distinctive visual styles to the land they're from, their settlements and clothes/armor, yet they retain the iconic Dark Elf look. And there's plenty of sinister motives that can be associated with them, from their xenophobia to the dubiousness of their scientific experimentation, to the fact that they practice horrible things in their culture (though this isn't something they can do anymore since their homeland got wrecked and their slaves rose up).

Basically the perfect rendition of Dark Elves, imo.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I have them as spindly, emaciated with skins ranging from translucid to ashen. Most of them have no hairs but will use wigs made of spidesilk. They have long, clawed fingers. They also have bendable cartilagenous bones able to bend and twist in all directions.

In terms of society you have the ''high'' dark elves who are the usual evil guys living in Underdark cities. Their society is inspired by the predatory spiders.

Then you have the more primal outlander dark elves based on the Ashlanders of Morrowind. Living in chitinous yurts in the caves of the Underdark as wandering tribes. Animist beliefs based on the worship of demon lords a primal spirits (Daedra) that need to be pacified.

Then you have the surface enclaves of dark elves living in slums outside the city walls, generally inspired by the city elves of Dragon Age.

hawkeyefan

Legend
Spire: The City Must Fall

Here’s an example of a setting that does some interesting with dark elves. They’re revolutionaries in a city ruled by high elves.

You can do whatever you like with them. Just find a dynamic that you think is interesting, and go with that. No fantasy race needs to be stuck in the same old trope. Change it up.

Remove ads