BEYOND THE SKIES Kickstarter From Bruce Heard Is Live

Bruce "Voyage of the Princess Ark" Heard has sent along a short preview of the Calidar’s Kickstarter campaign for Beyond the Skies. Second in the Calidar series, this 220+ pg compendium tells all about gods, their spirit servants, and divine powers they grant the faithful. If this were all, this project would be merely walking an oft-beaten path. Aside from its basic aims, Beyond the Skies brings to life internal rivalries among pantheons and divine politics between them. A monstrous peril that threatens to destroy them and their mortal followers' universe thus begs the question: "Will they work together and ultimately survive?" Until the book comes out, here’s a snippet of a story involving gods—a proof that despite its impending doom, not all is dark and foreboding in the World of Calidar.

Bruce "Voyage of the Princess Ark" Heard has sent along a short preview of the Calidar’s Kickstarter campaign for Beyond the Skies. Second in the Calidar series, this 220+ pg compendium tells all about gods, their spirit servants, and divine powers they grant the faithful. If this were all, this project would be merely walking an oft-beaten path. Aside from its basic aims, Beyond the Skies brings to life internal rivalries among pantheons and divine politics between them. A monstrous peril that threatens to destroy them and their mortal followers' universe thus begs the question: "Will they work together and ultimately survive?" Until the book comes out, here’s a snippet of a story involving gods—a proof that despite its impending doom, not all is dark and foreboding in the World of Calidar.

dagleeth-3k.jpg

The Kickstarter is live now. For $25 you get the PDF, for $38 you get the softcover, and for $60 you can grab the hardcover. It's a system-neutral book, but it's recommended that you have the first book, In Stranger Skies. If you don't have that, you can add it to your pledge for just $6. If you're a fan of Bruce's Voyage of the Princess Ark for Dragon Magazine from 1990-1992, this is a must-have.

The mood was festive at Neshnee-of-the-Red-Gate, for it was the anniversary of Dagleeth’s divine ascension to Sadarya. The Grey Flame, the Prince of Wands, the Scrollmaker, and the Unquenched sat at his sides, partaking of an elixir he’d discovered in his many journeys in search of ancient lore. From her looks, Urthaala seemed to have had a little too much already. While throngs of spirit servants tended to the needs of their divine hosts, a score more entered, carrying an artfully prepared efreet soufflé above which fire imps merrily flew around, two for every century. “Thank you, thank you dear friends,” declared the Librarian god. “You shouldn’t have. Space for the imps is becoming scarcer every time.”

Naghilas laughed. “Growing self-conscious are we? Come now, there’s plenty more space for them. Trust me.” Barthazu stood and raised his chalice. “Hear, hear! Please, don’t be shy. The soufflé is getting cold and the imps are melting.” The guests chuckled and awaited until Dagleeth blew his fire imps and made a mental wish. As the spirit servants served godly apportioned slices, Dagleeth’s third eye opened wide. “I do beg your forgiveness, my friends,” he said suddenly. “Urgent business I’m afraid. Back in a moment.”

Vanishing from the Hall of Ceremonies, the Librarian reappeared in a remote corner of his immense library where someone awaited. “Eilonna?” The visitor turned and pulled down her hood, revealing her smile and a lacquered box under her arm. “You shouldn’t have, sweet lady,” said Dagleeth, his third eye rolling with embarrassment.

“I wasn’t about to forget your celebration. I hope you don’t mind my intrusion,” she said. The Librarian hugged the goddess. “Of course not, dearest friend. Will you join my guests?”

Eilonna placed her gift on a nearby table. “No, thank you. You know I’m uncomfortable with gatherings.” Dagleeth waved in a fatalistic manner. “What was I thinking? You, sweet Eilonna, will always be welcome at Neshnee, whether you enter through its Red Gate or its backdoor.” After a pause, he added, “I missed you.” The elven goddess gazed at him in a slightly gauche manner.

Dagleeth hesitated when silence prevailed, until a confused imp came flying by. “Shoo! Shoo, I say. Silly thing. My apology,” said the Librarian with a mix of regret and relief. “What news of the Briarwoods?” he asked.

Eilonna sighed softly. “Oh, nothing really. You know me, divine bumps and bruises to mend. Gods will be gods.” Dagleeth smiled as the two sat. “Is your patient getting better, the one with the darkness within?”

The goddess of healers looked in the distance, pensive. “He worries. Something wicked in the sea troubles him greatly. I slowed his ailment, but I fear healing it will require more than I can...”

Dagleeth’s third eye rolled wildly and gazed through bookshelves and walls. “Quiet, my sweet. I’ll be right back.”

The Librarian vanished to a nearby aisle. “Can I help you?” he enquired. Urthaala-the-Unquenched lifted her gaze from an ancient tome she held open before her. “Truly fascinating, what you keep here. I’m afraid I’ve allowed myself to wander about in your absence. Your guests are waiting.”

Annoyed, Dagleeth took the book from the goddess’s hands. “You are welcome at Neshnee, Fiery One, but please ask before perusing my library. I shall be back momentarily.” Slightly miffed, Urthaala wrinkled her nose at the Librarian and faded away.

Around the corner came Eilonna, worried. “Do you think she heard us?” Dagleeth frowned as he returned the book to its rightful place on the shelf. “Perhaps. I do wonder what she came looking for down here. I’ll be watching that one,” he added. Eilonna gazed at his third eye glaring in the Hall of Ceremonies’ direction. “Good idea.”

It's Alive.png

Bruce Heard

Calidar Publishing
What's under the hood?

In case you wondered, this book does offer quite a lot of game mechanics -- what some of you refer as crunch. A massive chapter details a myriad powers granted to mortal followers based on their not only on their cult but also their piety, from the casual follower to the firebrand zealot or dedicated priest of the cults. Additional powers can be granted over time based on behavior, along with short term Divine Favors for those who distinguish themselves. On the other hand, Divine Wounds await those who chose their paths most unwisely. Aside from stories and the description of gods, a host of denizens are also described which are likely to interact with your favorite party of adventurers, from a panoply of hallowed servants of the gods to the worst of demon princes. More mechanics describe Calidar's Dread Lands, the harvesting of seitha, and a system to run the spirit lords defending the world's massive wilderness from intruders. Of course, secret societies and a collection of floor plans for their lairs also offer as many opportunities for adventuring and tangling with the hidden affairs of the gods.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bruce Heard

Calidar Publishing
Awesome, count me in! I missed the first one, not making that mistake again :)

Now's the best time to get in on the series. Not only are prices as good as they will ever be, but there are two titles that are offered exclusively to Kickstarter backers (free PDFs or printed books as add-ons). These two books are *not* sold outside of Kickstarter campaigns. :)

Dire Bare

Legend
Bruce, couldn't find any info on Kickstarter or your site describing what the bonus books "Under the Great Vault" and "Skies of Fury" are all about. I backed your original Calidar Kickstarter, and I'm only hesitating on this one as funds are very tight for me right now. I will definitely be purchasing "Beyond the Skies" at some point down the road! I'm hesitant to pledge currently, but don't want to miss out on exclusive content. What can we expect in each of these bonus books?

Thorf

Explorer
CST1 Under the Vault was included in the first Kickstarter as a PDF. It contained sixteen short stories introducing the setting, as well as leading up to the main story of CAL1 In Stranger Skies. It also had a lexicon of Kragdûras (dwarvish), with Kragdûras-English and English-Kragdûras lists of words.

CST2 Skies of Fury's contents have not been fully decided yet. As of now, it looks like it will include two adventures and a short story (The Rat Hunter, set aboard a Lao-Kwei treasure ship), but this may change. Bruce's focus with CST2 is very much on providing adventures.

This time round, both CST1 and CST2 are available as PDF freebies on most pledges. But they're also both available as print-on-demand books, for $9 each. Since the CST series is Kickstarter-exclusive, this will be the only opportunity to get these books, as PDFs or in print — at least until the next Kickstarter. Next on the slate after CC1 will likely be the long-awaited CAL2. But it has to be written first, so it seems unlikely this will happen until later next year, at the earliest.

Bruce Heard

Calidar Publishing
CST2 is most likely going to offer three items. One is a dungeon adventure in the Kingdom of Meryath. The next is an adventure taking place in space, near Calidar, in the wake of the battle described in CAL1, at the end of the main story. The third section is the story of a crew member working on a giant Lao-Kweian ship as it and an accompanying merchant fleet travels to Calidar. In total, the book takes up 60 pages, with a good number of color floor plans (dungeon maps, deck plans, etc). The end result should be useful (the adventures) as well as entertaining and informative (the crew member's story).

Sadras

Legend
You know, we're giving this our very best. :)

Hi Bruce.
Sadly I've noticed that the Kickstarter doesn't cater for anyone in South Africa. Is there no other way for me to back your project and be able to pick up your Kickstarter specials (Under the Vault and Skies of Fury)?

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads