D&D General BG1&2 players, who were your constant companions?

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
I usually always played "good". I also almost always played something melee because the lack of turn based combat and the enemies always preferring to go after YOU made playing a D4 HD Wizard a sad state of affairs. Luckily with SIX total slots your PC could be whatever while also having your faves in the party.

Canon-ish the Bhaal Spawn was a Human Fighter named Abdel Adrian.

People who haven't played 1 and 2, please notice the sheet amount of Companions and most had some interesting storylines and quests.

Anyways, here is a link to an overview with a list of Companions to jog your memory:

Jaheira. Her husband lived only long enough until I found a replacement. Nice to know his death is canon in BG2.
Minsc. His "Witch" also only lived long enough to be replaced. Also, nice to know her death is canon in BG2.
Imoen. She's a thief and your sister. Of course, she always has a spot. Yeah better Thieves existed but she's family. "Heya! It's me, Imoen!"
Edwin. A powerful mage with a jerky attitude. What's not to like?
Viconia. My drow cleric and future wife (in BG2).

Had to thread the needle to keep Ed and Vic from leaving the group but I made it work.

BG2:

Again, Jaheira, Minsc, and Viconia. Your old battle buddies.

The last 2 slots are a bit more rotating as characters come and go. Hexxat the thief for a bit. Imoen when she comes back into play. Aerie and Neera.
Sarevok when he pops back up. Mazzy is great.

Over all I dont always stick with my "iconics" (except for Minsc) but if I'm in a real "story mode" mind when I (re)play them it's something like above.

Scribe

Legend
BG1 - Safana, Edwin, Viconia, Kagain, Imoen
BG2 - Korgan (100%), Edwin, Viconia, rotational after that.

Edwin/Viconia are always there, and Korgan is a lock in Game 2.

That is, unless I'm doing a 'Good Guy' run, but I prefer the evil banter.

BG2: Minsc, Jaheira, Aerie, and Jan pre-Spellhold. Imoen is swapped in after Spellhold, and I use the sixth slot for a rotation, unless romancing Aerie.

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
BG1 - Safana, Edwin, Viconia, Kagain, Imoen
BG2 - Korgan (100%), Edwin, Viconia, rotational after that.

Edwin/Viconia are always there, and Korgan is a lock in Game 2.

That is, unless I'm doing a 'Good Guy' run, but I prefer the evil banter.

Ive never get how to do an evil party. NPC: "Please help! I have a quest/problem!" Evil party: "Not our problem/die peasant!" = No XP.

Gorck

Prince of Dorkness
The only ones I can remember from way back then are Imoen and Minsc. I thought, in BG2, you created all of your party members - or am I mixing it up with Icewind Dale 1 & 2?

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I often played a wizard so in BG1, that slot was taken. The other 5 were often jaheira, jaheira's brother, minsc, viconia, and imoen, though imoen gets replaced in some games where I player a fighter/mage/thief.

BG2 I think I kept jaheira and minsc, the other Bhaalspawn, aerie (so many spells with a cleric/mage), and viconia. Normally, I was a human swashbuckler rogue who dual-classed to wizard so that's how I covered thief skills. I'd have to load it up, but I think in my last BG2 playthrough I was using my fighter/mage/thief that I ran through BG1E and it's expansion.

With the enhanced editions, especially if I'm covering thief, I replace imoen with the wild mage NPC. So much danger, so much fun.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Looking at my last game, I must have been changing things up a little. I'm a dual class fighter/mage, I have Minsc, Jaheira, Aerie, and Imoen but also Sir Anomen, the dual classed fighter/cleric. I think I may have been wanting to make use of the holy smite spells and having viconia in the party makes that difficult.

Remove ads