D&D General BG1&2 players, who were your constant companions?

Maenalis

Villager
I used to replay both games around Christmas time, my usual party is:
BG1: Imoen, Minsc, Khalid, Jaheira, Dynaheir me playing a tank (paladin or warrior)
BG2: Imoen (or Nalia), Minsc, Jaheira, Aerie, Mazzy still playing a tank

a couple memorable playthroughs were with:
BG1: Imoen, Ajantis, Edwin, Garrick, Xan
and
BG1: Imoen, Tiax, Yeslick, Montaron, Kagain, Shar-Teel

BG2: Imoen, Keldorn, Jan Jansen, Nalia, Anomen
and
BG2: Imoen, Haer'Dalis, Aerie, Cernd, Minsc (+Yoshimo)

Only played BG1.

First time round i played a wizard, the group was Imoen, Ajantis, Khalid, Viconia, and Xan (Jaheira died early, and Minsc left when i didn't have room in the party for Dynaheir once i rescued her). Having Viconia and a paladin in the same group was ... challenging, but there was such a lack of clerics that i kinda felt obliged to keep her around.

Second time I knew a bit more what to expect, and played a cleric myself to have the healing gap covered. Rounded our the party Imoen, Dynaheir and Minsc, Khalid and Jaheira. I've never found it easy to play an 'evil' party in one of the RPGs of that era (or many newer ones) because the dialog is just so black-hat juvenile that it feels like a Rocky and Bullwinkle cartoon rather than something with real conflicted characters doing bad things. I'd be ok playing evil, but i don't want to just play a jerk. Oh, and evil means Imoen leaves, and that always seemed out of character...

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
BG2: Imoen, Anomen, Keldorn, Minsc, flex (but usually Aerie for the spells).

Keldorn is a bro (and his antimagic is actually super useful), Minsc is too funny not to bring along, Imoen is a sweetheart, and Anomen was my only romance option because I chose to be different and play a woman for BG2.* Aerie can be pretty grating, but she's an incredibly powerful person to bring along, so I often did; but I would cycle through most NPCs to get all their delicious side quest story and XP. Even evil ones, assuming it wouldn't cause too much problem to help them. I wish Dorn had had a redemption arc, I think that could have been cool; I was certainly trying to get Sarevok redeemed, and wanted to redeem Viconia too.

Honorable mentions to Yoshimo, Valygar, and Mazzy Fentan, particularly Mazzy. She's a good bean.

Atomoctba

Adventurer
In BG1, I played a paladin, with:

Imoen ("Heya, it's me, Imoen"),
Jahira ("Yes, oh omnipresent authority figure?"),
Khalid ("I can but try"),
Minsc ("Go for the eyes, Boo. GO FOR THE EYES! RrraaaAAGHGHH!"),
Branwen ("Tempus! Give us victory!")

I almost did not deviate from this formation, except of course before accessing some of them. But as long I set them in my party, they remained there until the very end.

My initial post was a more quick surface level answer to this question, but I've been thinking about it a little more deeply since last night and have a more well thought out answer. There are two companions that stick out over all the rest. Two that I would have a really hard time not playing with, Imeon and Jaheira.

Imeon is your last peice of your old life that you can never return to. She's family, and the bond goes deep. Your destiny is ever pulling you, but Imeon reminds you that you're still a person. In BG1 she's an upbeat voice mostly happy to be on a big adventure. She keeps you from getting too pessimistic and wrapped up in your own problems. By the second game she's one of the few people that can truly understand the struggle you are going through. You've both been through a lot, but you've stuck together and stayed good people in spite of it.

Jaheira and Khalid are the only two people in the sword coast you know you can trust. Some of the last words Gorion told you was to find them. They are also quite knowledgeable about the wider world, another trait that you are in desperate need of. In BG1 Jaheira is your mentor to the outside world. A little cynical, but still has a sense of humor. Jaheira and Khalid's relationship is also sweet and shows that even in the dangerous life of an adventurer that normal happiness can still be found. In BG2 Jaheira losing Khalid flips your relationship. Now Jaheira is the one that needs someone to steady and guide her. She loses her fun, sarcastic tone in the sequel. She needs someone to keep her focused, and keep her from despair. You've been with her for so long at this point that she really is family too.

I don't play evil characters or put up with evil companions, so for me it was:

BG1 (EE): Imoen, Branwyn, Minsc, Dynaheir, Kivan. Sometimes Glint, sometimes Neera, sometimes Corwin.
BG2 (EE): Imoen (d/c to Wizard), Minsc, Anomen (d/c to Cleric), Neera, plus one of Keldorn, Mazzy, or Sarevok (in ToB).

Jaheira and her whiny husband can go jump. I don't think I've ever had either of them in my party for long.

I am pretty much in love with Imoen's voice (Melissa Disney), so I've included her in every single playthrough. Also, Imoen is family. There's no way I could abandon her.

Remove ads