• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General BG3 Massive Spoiler Thread

I noticed a little late there was a countdown timer, so Shadowheart had to run through dragonfire and ended up dying. But I got inside with Orpheus, Karlach and myself just in time. (Lae'zel somehow went from full HP to dead in the first turn. No idea how, but at least she killed the Emperor first)
Not that final battle, the other final battle!

Ive been so busy playing Cyberpunk 2077 I have yet to progress further in BG3.

I wonder if this game will get newer fans to try BG1-2
I have actually gotten them a while back on GoG, way before BG 3 was released... Unforuntately, starting to play them made me realize how old they are, and I just don't enjoy that as much anymore. It seems I need a voice cast and what not to enjoy a story-heavy game nowadays... :( I didn't play long enough to found if this was founded, but I also worried the game might be hard and I don't have the patience (or time) for replaying difficult scenes over and over. I noticed that when replaying TIE Fighter - the graphics is ancient, but acceptable, it had a lot of voiced stuff, but it's difficult. I played through the entire game in hard mode, but I don't feel like retrying a mission dozens of time to get it done anymore.

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
I don’t know what’s happened but I haven’t played in like 2-3 days. Just turned it on and it’s running worse than usual and it looks worse than usual as well.

I have actually gotten them a while back on GoG, way before BG 3 was released... Unforuntately, starting to play them made me realize how old they are, and I just don't enjoy that as much anymore. It seems I need a voice cast and what not to enjoy a story-heavy game nowadays... :( I didn't play long enough to found if this was founded, but I also worried the game might be hard and I don't have the patience (or time) for replaying difficult scenes over and over. I noticed that when replaying TIE Fighter - the graphics is ancient, but acceptable, it had a lot of voiced stuff, but it's difficult. I played through the entire game in hard mode, but I don't feel like retrying a mission dozens of time to get it done anymore.
Well, I played them first time round. But yeah, I've never been very good with retro. They are aren't particularly hard though, just a matter of getting used to real-time with pause mechanics. You could always practice on more recent games that use similar mechanics, such as Pillars of Eternity or Pathfinder games.

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi

I know this probably isn't a popular opinion considering BG3 is the new hotness... but.... BG1-2 are better. Yes, the lack of turned based combat sucks (Fireball is only useful for sneak attack opening shots etc). Yes, the games are harder. But for exploration and story, especially exploration, they win hands down.

Plus not to mention SIX PARTY MEMBER SLOTS.

Ondath

Hero
I know this probably isn't a popular opinion considering BG3 is the new hotness... but.... BG1-2 are better. Yes, the lack of turned based combat sucks (Fireball is only useful for sneak attack opening shots etc). Yes, the games are harder. But for exploration and story, especially exploration, they win hands down.

Plus not to mention SIX PARTY MEMBER SLOTS.
I have to respectfully disagree. Leaving aside the decades of technical advancements that BG 1 & 2 can't hope to compete with, BG3 is just a better adaptation of the D&D ruleset to the computer. The amount of freedom you have in solving problems just cannot be compared with, and that's what really makes BG3 feel like D&D IMO. With BG1&2, the quests are well-written, yes, but you have to do most things the way the designers plotted it. There are no weird workarounds that the game just accepts (or more impressively, for which the game designers actually prepared some extra lines). The lack of a skill system in 2E also means that characters have very little ways to interact with the world. And I think that is really pivotal for exploration.

Also, the decades of technical advancements do matter... To be able to see each character emoting in perfect motion-captured acting in key moments of the story, in full voiceover, compared to reading the text in isometric view, is an experience that BG1&2 just cannot contend with. And I think the writing is pretty good, but I don't know if it's better than BG1&2. Some people find the original duology's writing to be soap opera-y, and the current writing definitely has its weird hangups (and a focus on romance that undoubtedly changes the tone, whether we like it or not). I just put all three games at an equal level in terms of story quality.

Having said that, the four-member party limit is a serious problem. I finally caved in and installed the limit extender mod to include Minsc and Jaheira to my regular rotation of Dark Urge, Shadowheart, Astarion and Karlach.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads