• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Big and Strong race help.

Havoc123456

First Post
I am about to do a relatively low level (4 or so) adventure and i am wanting to play a large character with as low of a LA as possible. i was thinking half-ogre, which i usually add half-orc to for another +2 STR and -2 INT and CHA and call it an ogrillon. but i was wondering if i could get a character with a +8 or more to strength and large, with as small of a LA as possible and preferably no racial HD (but i will possibly take it if the STR boost is enough). any help would be greatly appricated.

Thanks in advance!

Havoc123456

First Post
i wouldnt mind a goliath, though i am looking for something stronger if possible. i dont really like half giants and bugbears arent big enough. i am trying to make a character that can throw another character in the party using the fling ally feat.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
Half-Minotaur from Dragon Magazine 313, p.94.

+1 LA.

+4 STR, +2 Con, +2 Wis, -2 Int, +2 Natural AC. Increase 1 size catagory if you're a Small or medium base race.

Gain scent, Track feat, Darkvision 60', +2 search, listen, spot, 1d6 gore attack, +10 Landspeed, +4 bonus to escape a Maze spell, Always know which way is north.

I'd suggest making a Half-Minotaur Changeling. This way, you can shift your appearance to seem like a really tall human, a Half-giant, a goliath, heck, even look like an elegant Archon or something. You decide how you want others to see you. Than, when charging into battle, shift back not only to the half-minotaur, but go Full Minotaur in appearance, add a few more horns to look like a Dire-minotaur, shaggy drool red fur, etc. See if your DM will allow an intimidate bonus for good RPing, but all in all it helps if you can choose how you want to look in various social situations.

Someone copied all the template details here.

Now I've operated under the assumption that you do Not gain the stat increases for going up a size category, instead you simply assume the stat bonuses that the template lists. RAW, you are supposed to gain all the stat increases for going up a size catagory, PLUS the bonus to Str, Con, etc. that are listed, but that becomes Rediculiously powerful and is bound to piss somebody off. You figure out what your DM & other players are ok with.

Last edited:

WHW4

First Post
i wouldnt mind a goliath, though i am looking for something stronger if possible. i dont really like half giants and bugbears arent big enough. i am trying to make a character that can throw another character in the party using the fling ally feat.

Could have sworn Goliaths qualify for that feat because of their Powerful Build. Also, if you're wanting to "get bigger," there is a Rage substitution for Goliaths, also in Races of Stone, called Mountain Rage that lets them actually become large-sized during the rage.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
Could have sworn Goliaths qualify for that feat because of their Powerful Build. Also, if you're wanting to "get bigger," there is a Rage substitution for Goliaths, also in Races of Stone, called Mountain Rage that lets them actually become large-sized during the rage.
Yup, Goliaths can Fling Allies.

Empirate

First Post
Make a special note of the Feral (Savage Species) and Mineral Warrior (Underdark) templates, both at +1. Big and strong? We have those covered. Now, you're also impossible to take down (fast healing from Feral, DR 8/adamantine and good NA from MW), can pounce (Feral), get natural attacks, and are dimmer than a burnt-out lightbulb.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
Make a special note of the Feral (Savage Species) and Mineral Warrior (Underdark) templates, both at +1. Big and strong? We have those covered. Now, you're also impossible to take down (fast healing from Feral, DR 8/adamantine and good NA from MW), can pounce (Feral), get natural attacks, and are dimmer than a burnt-out lightbulb.
Ah... Feral Template. So powerful it's rediculious. But keep in mind, this is a level 4 character and Feral template's abilities are porgressive.
Mineral Warrior has amazing defensive abilities with the AC boost and DR. Also a really good choice, but no size or Str boost.

WHW4

First Post

I also feel, personally, that the Feral template should be a +2 LA. Our DM agreed. Of course this was a higher level game, so more of the abilities were present, but still. It IS powerful for a +1.

YMMV.

Empirate

First Post
Actually, I believe there's been quite a debate on whether the Feral template progresses with your levels, or just with the base creature's racial HD. If the latter, that makes it much less powerful for most PCs. Still good for +1, though. If it does progress with character level, I'd even put it as high as +3, personally.

Mineral Warrior gives +2 Str and +4 Con, but -2 to all mental stats.

Remove ads