Big changes a'coming! Merging the D&D forums

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I
If the separate forums caused a net reduction of traffic, how will changing the forums increase traffic? Doesn't that mean more people have to use the web site?

You're confusing "traffic" with "posts about D&D". There's plenty of traffic; poeple are just posting less about D&D.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
If there are tags or filters, I do not see them on tapatalk....not a fan of the change yet, but I will give it some time before deciding.

Mattachine

Adventurer
You're confusing "traffic" with "posts about D&D". There's plenty of traffic; poeple are just posting less about D&D.

I'm not confused--I am referring to Morrus noting that traffic on the site has decreased since splitting everything into many sub-forums.

I can agree that splitting the forums may be the cause. No problem.

My concern is that the idea that doing the reverse (merging the forums) will somehow increase traffic. Folks that see threads they aren't interested in probably won't post there.

With the forums merged, members seem to be doing these four things:

1. Clicking tags to only see the topic of their old forum.
2. Browsing the new forums as is, but still only posting on the threads they used before.
3. Browsing the new forums as is, even posting in topics they didn't before.
4. Leaving the site because they don't like the new layout or they can't post from Tapatalk.

I suspect that most folks are using options #1 and #2, with a few doing #3, and some doing #4.

Obryn

Hero
I have to say, I really like it so far. Most of the other RPG forums I've seen have done similar sorts of divisions - D&D vs. Everything Else - and it makes a lot of sense.

-O

Well, having tried it out after being aprehensive about the changes, I'm okay with it but have a few suggestions/comments/questions for improvements:

1. The tag display needs a little work. The icons need more visual variety. More importantly, I think there needs to be text in the tag field or post title that spells out the tag choice. In a perfect world, the tag names would also be written out as "D&D 3e" instead of "DND3E"

2. The tag browsing could use some help. I understand that a checkbox-style interface probably isn't available right now due to software limitations, but I still really want one. As an alternative, I would like to suggest a sticky thread that lists all the tags and has links to them. This would help in two ways: First, it could provide a handy list of all tags and explanations for when to use them (for example, when to use the WoTC tag instead of DND3E or ALLDND). *Second, it solves a hunting problem. Right now, you have to find a post with an appropriate tag to sort by that tag. I imagine this will be a real pain with some of the rarer tags.

3. I still want D&D Next to be in it's own forum. It's not an issue now, but I really think that it will dominate whenever there are major announcements. This is also the only reason I want the checkbox tag interface, so it would solve that problem, too.

4. Why does Conversions still have it's own subforum? Given that Next doesn't have it's own, this one is hard to understand. Couldn't we just have a Conversions tag?

5. I think there needs to be a way to edit tags. I went back to an old thread I started, and couldn't find a way to add one. I think this will be a PITA if people forget to enter a tag when they start a thread.

Just my two cents.

*Edit: just found the "Prefix" drop down under "Display options". This solves the hunting problem but it's relatively well hidden.

Mattachine

Adventurer
GAH!
If I view DDN-only, WotC articles disappear. That means that WotC articles about DDN have to be viewed as WotC, or with everything else.

Poopies.

:(

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
5. I think there needs to be a way to edit tags. I went back to an old thread I started, and couldn't find a way to add one. I think this will be a PITA if people forget to enter a tag when they start a thread.

Can it be changed if you choose the "Go Advanced" editing option?

crazy_monkey1956

First Post
Apologies if this has already been mentioned.

If I may make a suggestion regarding Echohawk's Collector's Guides. Currently the 4th Edition Guide is stickied. I would suggest a stickied Index thread with links to all the Guides instead (since the forum now encompasses all editions of D&D).

Remove ads