• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Big charge damage ideas?

pawsplay

Hero
For a little extra, taking a level of Scout and Highland Stalker will add 1d6 each in skirmish damage if unmounted. There are also feats Powerful Charge and Improved Powerful Charge in the MH.

NewJeffCT

First Post
General rules for multiplying damage in DnD 3.5 says that all flat bonuses (including power attack, smite, etc.) are multiplied, while dice bonuses (sneak attack, divine sacrifice, etc.) are not. So yeah, multiply everything :D

Thanks for that tip. It was helpful. Of course, i bet there is an exception to that rule somewhere that my players will find next session.

Dross

Explorer
Thanks to shock trooper and charging, your AC is likely to be very low. If you are going to be hit on a 2 or more, the extra AC from a shield isn't going to make a difference.

Maybe, if you transfer out a lot of AC to power PA. I'd gather that it would be used to varying degrees depending on the situation. If you are going to be hit by several things with multiple attacks, not transferring out all your AC would be a good idea.

And given that iterative attacks start coming in, the 2nd and following attacks might miss due to the shield (if they get any).

Freakohollik

First Post
I've done this stuff a few times, couple of my findings.

A ton of damage can come from power/leap attacking to the max, and finding some way to get around the penalty. True Strike and Deep Impact (XPH) are my favorites here.

If you go the Shock Trooper route, try and get some concealment when you need to not get hit. A Cloak of Displacement or Ring of Invisibility will work. DR might also be a possibility, but I don't know of a good source.

The Paladin variant in Unearthed Arcana page 58 allows you to get favored enemy. The Favored Power Attack (CW) feat lets gets you another +1 to that power attack multiplier. This won't work for your paladin of tyranny villain as human is not one of the allowed choices.

Ring of Freedom of Movement or Close Quarters Fighting (CW) will be essential at higher levels so you can charge big monsters.

The smiting charge variant paladin with leap attack gets 5x his BaB to damage (Two Handed weapon, Leap Attack, Smiting Charge). 6x if you go the favored power attack route. Your CHA bonus will offset the penalty at lower levels. At higher levels, I'd say UMD a wand of true strike. Also consider the Extra Smiting feat (CW).

kyrand

First Post
For a little extra, taking a level of Scout and Highland Stalker will add 1d6 each in skirmish damage if unmounted. There are also feats Powerful Charge and Improved Powerful Charge in the MH.

IIRC, one of the FAQs or erratas actually state you don't qualify for skirmish damage while mounted, i.e. you have to do the move on your own. Of course, this build's damage output is disgusting enough already (and by disgusting, I mean I'm stealing it to sic on my players :devil:)

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Scout at least has a mounted variant to get skirmish while mounted. Seems pointless to get skirmish when all flat numbers are being multiplied by so much anyway.

NewJeffCT

First Post
Scout at least has a mounted variant to get skirmish while mounted. Seems pointless to get skirmish when all flat numbers are being multiplied by so much anyway.

True - plus, I want a pure paladin, and skirmish seems kind of un-paladin-y to me.

I think the main reason I want a good "2nd" for my final villain is that the PCs have become used to fighting a couple of main bad guys and a group of minions... if the PCs realize that this minion is not really a minion, because his big charge attack drops the party cleric, then it will force them to adjust their tactics.

You could start out as a centaur. This means you are always mounted, and so can benefit from spirited charge (note that races of faerun states you may take spirited charge without having to meet the requirements).
I'm glad someone else notices this. Can I get a quotation? Such bad trolling happened in BG over the always mounted implications.

How maxed do you want this? Its possible to get this much, much higher than you will ever need... The max that I made is quite ugly indeed.

frankthedm

First Post
I'm glad someone else notices this. Can I get a quotation? Such bad trolling happened in BG over the always mounted implications.
I'm pretty damn sure I've seen that notation for the centaur from a Forgotten Realms book as well. So If you have the FR book allowed in, that makes the centaur lancer even sicker, otherwise one is stuck with...

Centaur :: d20srd.org
Combat
A centaur employing a lance deals double damage when it charges, just as a rider on a mount does.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads