• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Big charge damage ideas?

Elethiomel

First Post
By implication yes, because that same page lists an exception: "Exception: Extra damage dice over and above a weapon’s normal damage are never multiplied."

Edit: Rules compendium p.17 on multiplying damage states: "Roll the damage dice and add all modifiers multiple times. Total the results. Extra damage dice over and above a weapon's normal damage, such as those dealt by precision damage abilities, are never multiplied."

Last edited:

NewJeffCT

First Post
By implication yes, because that same page lists an exception: "Exception: Extra damage dice over and above a weapon’s normal damage are never multiplied."

Edit: Rules compendium p.17 on multiplying damage states: "Roll the damage dice and add all modifiers multiple times. Total the results. Extra damage dice over and above a weapon's normal damage, such as those dealt by precision damage abilities, are never multiplied."

Thanks - it's not worded very well, IMO.

I find DnD's rules to be like the pirate's code - their more like guidelines.

Just admit your interpretation and move on. Its not like everyone is going to have the same interpretation of all the poorly written stuff out there.

NewJeffCT

First Post
I find DnD's rules to be like the pirate's code - their more like guidelines.

Just admit your interpretation and move on. Its not like everyone is going to have the same interpretation of all the poorly written stuff out there.

true, they are guidelines, but I'd like to be fair to everybody as well. My group has a paladin of freedom in the group that is very hard to hit, but he doesn't do a lot of melee damage despite having a keen elven thin blade (threat of a crit on a 15-20, auto-confirmed if he casts Bless Weapon) - however, if his smite damage is also doubled, that would add some punch to his melee attacks. We had been playing that it is NOT multiplied in the past.

Davachido

Explorer
Lots of good feats flying around that people of suggested already, you could get a flying mount and go for diving with a piercing weapon (x3).

Not to mention riding boots (MIC) boosting your spirited charge damage.
Also just for that added to-hit go for the battle standard in Heroes of battle that adds some more to-hit when you charge.

Also dipping 1 level into lion barbarian from Complete champion, you know you want that pounce ability. (Although if you are going paladin, the other way to get this is get an item with lion's charge spell.) As far as I recall, all the attacks count as charging so all the lance, spirited charge, etc bonueses get applied to each one.

Edit: another idea, albeit stepping into custom item rules from the DMG, is creating wands of wraithstrike and making a chamber in your lance for them with the rules from Dungeonscape. Yes this is will make your DM hate you, now hit that monsters touch AC with your already high to-hit.

Last edited:

NewJeffCT

First Post
Lots of good feats flying around that people of suggested already, you could get a flying mount and go for diving with a piercing weapon (x3).

Not to mention riding boots (MIC) boosting your spirited charge damage.
Also just for that added to-hit go for the battle standard in Heroes of battle that adds some more to-hit when you charge.

Also dipping 1 level into lion barbarian from Complete champion, you know you want that pounce ability. (Although if you are going paladin, the other way to get this is get an item with lion's charge spell.) As far as I recall, all the attacks count as charging so all the lance, spirited charge, etc bonueses get applied to each one.

Edit: another idea, albeit stepping into custom item rules from the DMG, is creating wands of wraithstrike and making a chamber in your lance for them with the rules from Dungeonscape. Yes this is will make your DM hate you, now hit that monsters touch AC with your already high to-hit.

Interesting ideas, but I'm not sure the lion totem barbarian fits in with a paladin of tyranny. It would have fit better with the frenzied berserker I threw at the party a few sessions back - but, the FB (with levels in regular barbarian) combined with a high level evil cleric that cast Blasphemy almost resulted in a TPK.

Davachido

Explorer
Interesting ideas, but I'm not sure the lion totem barbarian fits in with a paladin of tyranny. It would have fit better with the frenzied berserker I threw at the party a few sessions back - but, the FB (with levels in regular barbarian) combined with a high level evil cleric that cast Blasphemy almost resulted in a TPK.

Didn't think it would, though pounce is lovely in charger builds. Items that grant lion's charge, or the psionic version of it can help. If you don't get pounce all the other multipliers I mentioned still are juicy uppers to damage.

Remove ads