• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Big Fat Orcus. What's the *offical* status of his lair?

green slime

First Post
FireLance said:
Really? I thought "Orcusgate" was the Abyssal scandal which erupted when it was discovered that Demogorgon's left head had sold magic weapons to Orcus which were used to fight the forces of Demogorgon's right head.

There's no end to the Abyssal scandal.

Gez

First Post
heh.gif
That said, the "thingiegate" naming convention for scandals is only used in the USA. Are the Abyss the 51st state?
crazy.gif

Darth Krzysztof

First Post
dead said:
Yeah, I thought there was a discrepency somewhere.

Wait; it gets worse.

I'm pretty sure that H4 establishes Orcus's home on the 66th layer of the Abyss... Planescape and later products list it as 113th.

So maybe he carved out a new realm when he came back, further down the Abyssal Turnpike?

I think a lot of the Orcus scandel is left up to personal interpretation.

Depending on what gaming system one is looking through at the time of questioning. For instance, I know little of the D&D history on Orcus, as my gaming group only meddles with D&D on our off seasons of gaming.

In the Palladium Fantasy realm... Orcus died at the hands of Rhurga, the Goddess of Truth, with the help of Demigorgon his supposed right hand man. Now his realm in the multiverse of Palladium was not in the Abyss but was in fact in a place called Hell which translates into the Abyss or even Savannah, Ga for the wanderers out there. His palace was on the 666th plane of Hell where there was no direct way to travel to it. So in order to travel to his particular hole in the ground, one had to travel through the other 665 levels of Hell just to pay him a visit.

We actually are ending up our 4 year campaign dealing with the Prince Orcus who has been trying to bring back the Old Ones of the Palladium Fantasy world. Which for those not informed on the Old Ones, are pretty much H.P. Lovecrafts monsters put into games.

Anyway, I will go back to lurking now.

*If I am wrong in any of my information just pass it off as someone who is bored at work and likes to hear himself type.

Psion

Adventurer
Gez said:
Or, in a classical fashion, "Orcusgate" is the name people who've heard of Orcus' city gave it; while Naratyr is the actual name of the city.

Kinda like all those "bone devil/osyluth" name conventions.

Orcusgate was Naratyr
Now it Orcusgate was Naratyr

So if you've an adventure in Naratyr,
It'll be waiting in Orcusgate.

(...)

Why Naratyr got the works
That's nobody's business but the vrocks.

(with apologies to TMBG)

JoeGKushner

First Post
Mourngrymn Dasha'r said:
In the Palladium Fantasy realm... Orcus died at the hands of Rhurga, the Goddess of Truth.

We actually are ending up our 4 year campaign dealing with the Prince Orcus who has been trying to bring back the Old Ones of the Palladium Fantasy world. Which for those not informed on the Old Ones, are pretty much H.P. Lovecrafts monsters put into games.

Man, I thought I was the only one who dug a lot of the Palladium Fantasy bits! I loved what Bill Coffin did with that world and wish they kept him on! Dragons & Gods is a great book for general ideas though. Fantastic to see another person whose actually used bits from there.

Gez said:
Or, in a classical fashion, "Orcusgate" is the name people who've heard of Orcus' city gave it; while Naratyr is the actual name of the city.

Kinda like all those "bone devil/osyluth" name conventions.
Sorta like how we often use names like Hell, the Pit, the Infernal Wastes of Doom and Despair, and stuff like that but the actual name of the city is Detroit? :heh:

tarchon

First Post
I suspect part of the reason Orcus was killed off was because he was killed in so many campaigns that ran Bloodstone.

Last edited:

Darth Shoju

First Post
Psion said:
Orcusgate was Naratyr
Now it Orcusgate was Naratyr

So if you've an adventure in Naratyr,
It'll be waiting in Orcusgate.

(...)

Why Naratyr got the works
That's nobody's business but the vrocks.

(with apologies to TMBG)
LOL

MDSnowman

First Post
Alzrius said:
I had thought something about it was hinted in Kiaransalee's entry in Monstrous Mythology, but considering that I can't even find my copy of that now, I'm likely misremembering. Monte is probably correct here.

First let me revel in the knowledge that I own a book that you do not

:cool: :) ;) :eek: :D :lol: :]

With the gloating out of the there is no mention in Kiaransalee's Monster Mythology entry of her having killed Orcus. Only a mention that her priestesses enjoy animating the occasional corpse of a foe.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads