• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Big Modules

Calim

First Post
I am interested in finding a module that would take you from low level(first or second) to high level(18th or higher). I have heard of several like the Temple of Elemental Evil which starts out relatively high and I was also looking at the War of the Lance set which is a possibilty.

I was basically wanting recommendations along these lines.

Thanks in advance,
Calim

The Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil was like levels 4th through 14th. You're looking for one heck of a campaign if you want it to cover 1st through 18th levels. I didn't think one existed.

You might wanna buy the last Dungeon Magazine and see if you like the "shackled city" adventure within. If you like it, you can order the previous few issues that contain the other adventures in the series. This series starts at level one and will probably take you well into the teens. I have read the first three, and there is a good mix of city/dungeon/travel with a solid core D&D flavor. The first issue in the series had some really good maps of the "base" city location - a city called Cauldron built into a dormant volcano around a lake.

Here is a link to Paizo's Dungeon homepage. Check out the link on the right hand side:

"2/10/03: Downloadable Maps for “Life’s Bazaar” Posted"

for maps from issue #97, the first issue of the series.

http://www.paizo.com/dungeon.shtml

These are the issues you'll need:

Started issue 97: Life’s Bazaar level 1

issue 98 - Flood Season (Adventure Path: Shackled City 4th level)

issue 102 Zenith Trajectory (Adventure path: Shackled City; 6th level)

issue 104 The Demonskar Legacy (Adventure Path: Shackled City; 8th level

issue 107 (current issue ) Test of the Smoking Eye (10th level)

All of these issues are available from Paizo's site if you can't find them elsewhere. Plus you get some other great stuff too. I'll see if I can find a link to Jay Hafner's Dungeon Mag index so you can see what else these issues contain... check out this thread for an earlier conversation on these modules and a link to the index in Emirikol's post:

http://www.enworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=75238

Good luck & have fun

PS- In one of my games where I am a player we are currently being run through Monte Cook's "Banewarrens" mega module, and we are having a frightfully good time. I think it's a levels 6-12 module, but I'm not sure. I have been told I'm not allowed to read it... :D

Last edited:

pogre

Legend
I suggest starting with Lost City of Barakus and then launching into the Temple of Elemental Evil, or the Rappan Athuk series of modules.

d20Dwarf

Explorer
I'll just throw in a plug for my adventure path series, which right now takes characters from 4th-12th level, although since they are wired with the Xenogenic system you can alter their levels to suit your preferences.

www.direkobold.com

DMScott

First Post
Calim said:
I am interested in finding a module that would take you from low level(first or second) to high level(18th or higher).

They're not a single megamodule, but WOTC's adventure path modules (Sunless Citadel, Forge of Fury, etc. to Bastion of Broken Souls) are loosely connected and run from 1st to about 20th. Quality-wise they range from forgettable to very good.

For a great big dungeon crawl, I think Rappan Athuk from Necromancer games covers a pretty wide range of levels. Believe it's in three parts so far. Necromancer has a few other big adventures.

Vault of Larin Karr by Necromancer games is for levels 4 through 9. However, it's basically a mini-campaign setting and can handle lower level characters quite easily and can probably expand to cover higher levels as well.

It's one of the most open modules I've ever seen and contains months of adventuring. Basically, the module covers a barony with three villages, a whole bunch of NPC (often with their own plans and ambitions), monsters and villians who threaten the area, and some nice site adventures. Plus the whole area is riddled with passages into and out of the Underdark. Tying it all together is the legends of a great treasure supposedly hidden in the area. Whether exploring or being heroic PC-like, the party will stumble across clues (and certain magical keys) for this treasure.

And because there is no overarching plot to restrict they story, you can customize, add, subtract or change at will. Like a story in Dragon - drop it in. Want to connect the story to a different module - do it. Have the local necromancer attempt to flay the skin of the party after they've thwarted his most recent plans, well, you get the idea.

MarauderX

Explorer
Dire Kobold has some good ones you could stitch together for your needs. You can scale the levels you need up or down in order to arrange them as you need, and I would imagine if you read through a few it would take less than a few hours before you had something playable for levels 1-16+, and it would be completely unique so none of your players could buy the whole thing off of the shelf.

Ferox4

First Post
I would also recommend the Rappan Athuk series (Sword & Sorcery) or City of the Spider Queen. Granted, you'll have to find some lower level modules to prepare the PCs for the others, but if memory serves me, Rappan Athuk starts around 4th or 5th level and can be very challenging (depending on size of the party).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads