• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Big Thank You to Quickbeam and Dr. Alex

Stockdale

First Post
Hey all, I just wanted to give a big public thank you to enworlder Quickbeam and his brother-in-law, Dr. Alex.

I run a Parent-Kid game, which started off as a way to keep myself involve with my kid (I think if you can keep your kid playing games with you, then on some level a dialog remains open while they enter the turbulent teenage years); however, this game has evolved into a support group of sorts for kids with no-so-great homelifes. I 'm not sure how this happened, but I now have kids whose parents I don't even know. Most of kids are from broken homes with absentee fathers (this characterization includes my oldest son). At any rate, the kids don't have a lot (if any) of spending money (the oldest is thirteen) and some don't come from affluent families,and I didn't have enough dice to go around, so Quickbeam and Dr. Alex were generous enough to donate seven sets of dice to pass out to the kids to take home with them.

The kids and I would like to send a big public THANK YOU out to them.

Thank you very much,

John Stockdale, Jr.
GM, parent-kid game
Detroit, MI

[Moderator, if this is not the right forum of this post, feel free to move it. Thanks]

MEG Hal

First Post
Stockdale said:
Hey all, I just wanted to give a big public thank you to enworlder Quickbeam and his brother-in-law, Dr. Alex.

I run a Parent-Kid game, which started off as a way to keep myself involve with my kid (I think if you can keep your kid playing games with you, then on some level a dialog remains open while they enter the turbulent teenage years); however, this game has evolved into a support group of sorts for kids with no-so-great homelifes. I 'm not sure how this happened, but I now have kids whose parents I don't even know. Most of kids are from broken homes with absentee fathers (this characterization includes my oldest son). At any rate, the kids don't have a lot (if any) of spending money (the oldest is thirteen) and some don't come from affluent families,and I didn't have enough dice to go around, so Quickbeam and Dr. Alex were generous enough to donate seven sets of dice to pass out to the kids to take home with them.

The kids and I would like to send a big public THANK YOU out to them.

Thank you very much,

John Stockdale, Jr.
GM, parent-kid game
Detroit, MI

[Moderator, if this is not the right forum of this post, feel free to move it. Thanks]

Great idea!

I applaud thee, if you think any of our books at MEG will help with the game drop me a line and I will send some, as a single parent, this makes me warm and fuzzy and right now that is a real good thing.

Stockdale said:
Most of kids are from broken homes with absentee fathers (this characterization includes my oldest son
You might want to clarify that you mean stepson there...

This really is a great effort, though. Kudos!

JoeBlank

Explorer
Nice work Quickbeam, Dr. Alex and Stockdale.

MEG Hal, this is what I think people mean by "being part of the community". I've seen you step up and offer help many a times before like this. Anyone who has not noticed that you and your company are the very definition of "community member" has not been paying attention. I know not everyone reads the message boards, but those of us who do certainly notice. You guys have class. Thanks.

Stockdale

First Post
MEG HAL, thank for the offer. I think I've got about all the accessories I can use to run the game right now. The dice were a big help because it slows the game down when the players are looking for who had a D20 last. While I doled out a set to each kid that played, it really made the day for the kids that didn't already have dice... and of course, the new dice rolled great for each kid, which was really nice.

Josh Dyal wrote:
You might want to clarify that you mean stepson there...

your right, Josh, I probably ought to clarify that. It gets kind of hard to think of him as not my own, when he's lived with me for the better part of a decade.

Again, Thank you Quickbeam and Dr. Alex for the dice, and MEG Hal for the offer.

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Yup. Michigan Gamers Rock! Some even manage to make it all the way over for our Chicago gamedays! :)

JoeBlank said:
MEG Hal, this is what I think people mean by "being part of the community".

And the spooning. Can't forget the spooning... :p

Stockdale said:
your right, Josh, I probably ought to clarify that. It gets kind of hard to think of him as not my own, when he's lived with me for the better part of a decade.
Which is good, and a credit to you all around. But for those of you who don't already know, like me, and read that your son has a deadbeat dad, they might just do a double take and say "Huh?!? He's calling himself a deadbeat dad?" :)

LL, there is another Detroit Gameday in the works for Dec. 4th. There's a thread floating around somewhere; maybe I outta go bump it...

Crothian

First Post
I've meet both Quickbeam and Dr Alex, it was before Alex married Quickbeam's sister but they were some of the best guys to game with. It was a lot of fun and they were really really cool. :D

Remove ads