"Birds of a Feather" DnD 5E OOC (Closed)

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Ow wow you've got some plans!
Ok... Mmh....
I'm gonna make a Ruling here that will also apply too you guys regarding Illusions. I do support Illusion use but I'll have to clarrify some things now.

First, if you were to recast the Same Illusion over and over again they will become Immune to it after some time (depending on their Intelligence)
Also, once they interact with it they will find out its fake. For example if they shoot arrows at your Boulder and they pass through instead of bounce off they will realize something is up. And ofcourse, leaving any survivers might earn you a certain reoutation as a illusionist.

Reading Silent Image it states that 'Physical Interaction' reveals it to be a illusion. And once a creature sees the Illusion for what it is, it can see through it.

So to illustrate this might be something that could happen
Round 1;
You cast Silent Image
Orc Archers lose a turn
Orc Leader inspects Illusion and sees its fake, yells that It's fake to the Archers

Round 2;
Orc Archers shoot with penalties (they are basicly firing blind)
Arrows pass straight through said Boulder.
From this they realise its fake.

Round 3;
They can see through the Boulder.

This is Just a example ofcourse and if Fireballs, Arrows & God knows what starts flying out of said Boulder they will put 2&2 together fast enough.

Hope i have been clear enough and cant wait to see what you will come up with ;)

Cool, I appreciate the feedback.

I understand your stance regarding the recasting of the same illusion (i.e. boulder every round). If, however, round 1 there is a boulder, and by round 2 they see it as an illusion, then my character casts an illusion of vegetaton growing around the characters (new cating), and (rince and repeat) then it's a wall of flying knives, then it is swirling ribbons, then a swarm of butterflies, then mist, etc... the goal is to prevent line of sight, and give an advantage to allies. They may suspect that something is weird, but they'll need to go through interacting with the newly cast illusions, to see through them, right?

I want to understand the limitations you impose on the illusions allowed by the "at will" warlock invocations. The way I see it, the easier it is to see them as illusion, the less useful they are, and since my character invested 2 warlock levels to get them, I want to make sure it is worth it. You can basically assume that my character will always be casting these illusions in combat (he has very limited other options for the moment).

For the reputation as an illusionist, well, mask of many faces will should help with that (i.e. no one knows what my character looks like since he always has disguise self on, and shifts it at will ;-)

Also to confirm, if my character has cast disguise self, then he casts friends on someone, that person will be hostile to the disguised persona (i.e recast disguise self not to be the sunject of the hostility), right?

I'm looking forward to start this! ;-)
Cheers,

SG

Smarter opponents will still start to realize something is up if everything that appears is fake.
Especially if Stuff Comes flying out.
So in the short game, it will work. It will work Well.
Tho in longer Fights with smarter enemies its usefullness will deminish at some Point (or the might Just run Right in)

As for reputation I'm talking more as a Group.

As for Friends & Disguise Self, that'll depend where you transform.
If you transform into a Old Man out of sight, Walk up to a Guard, use Friends, then transform infront of him again he will still get Mad at you.
Tho if you break Line of Sight good enough and then break your Disguise Self he will still be looking for the Old Man

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Smarter opponents will still start to realize something is up if everything that appears is fake.
Especially if Stuff Comes flying out.
So in the short game, it will work. It will work Well.
Tho in longer Fights with smarter enemies its usefullness will deminish at some Point (or the might Just run Right in)

As for reputation I'm talking more as a Group.

As for Friends & Disguise Self, that'll depend where you transform.
If you transform into a Old Man out of sight, Walk up to a Guard, use Friends, then transform infront of him again he will still get Mad at you.
Tho if you break Line of Sight good enough and then break your Disguise Self he will still be looking for the Old Man

Good stuff & it makes sense.
Looking forward to the start!
Cheers,

Sg

tglassy

Adventurer
Yeah, once illusions start flying, cheese starts flying with it. I’m not the DM, but if I was, I’d only allow it to work once a fight. Silent Image isn’t for combat. It’s for trickery. I used it once to hide in a corner, with my team, and create an illusion around us that made the wall look like it just curved around that corner, so the giant just walked by. But if your plan is to use it in combat, that gets cheesy real fast if you just make new things appear every round so the enemy can’t do anything.

If I were the enemy, after the first round they’d just ignore anything weird that popped up. Maybe they can’t see where they’re firing, or maybe they can’t see through the wall they’re about to run through, but instead of trying to determine if it’s real, once they know illusions are there they won’t bother. They’ll just try to run or shoot through it.

Now, that’s great with the Illusionist’s higher level ability to make part of the illusion real.

Radaceus

Adventurer
a 'stutter' round as our RL group refers to this situation, where a trick is used to essentially rob the adversary of a turn or action, in essence giving the team the upper hand. When you break it down into the 5 minute work day, one missed action can be game breaking; that missed action equates to X attacks/actions against the duped adversary wherein they have not reciprocated. Minor Illusion is very effective for this, especially in 5E since it requires an Investigation check to disprove (as do quite a few illusion spells). So that in of itself is a useful asset. Especially, when noted by tglassy above, the trick can be used to avoid combat as well.

I think our DM has made a fair ruling :)

As i said, it will determine on against what kind of enemy its used.
Also, with 7 of you in a 20' Square, hour taking up about half the Illusion. If something knows its a illusion they are Bound to hit atleast something.

So it will work Well, but it wont keep working Well.

Also dont forget that like you guys, the enemy can also decide to Just... retreat ;)

Remove ads