• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Birthright Blood Abilities as Feats

For those of you that know the Birthright Campaign Setting, this would probably make more sense. I DMed a Birthright campaign using the 5e ruleset, and a little conversion I did myself. Blood Abilities are gained by heroes when they reach a certain amount of Blood Strength (points). At each benchmark, they roll on a table, and they randomly get a power.

For my next campaign I'm thinking of doing something more in line with 5e, and make these blood abilities as feats, that players can CHOOSE (no more random rolling). Problem is, Blood Abilities were wildly different in power, so I'm thinking to go for a different approach

Instead of re-inventing the wheel, I'm now thinking of making some thematic lists of spells, tied to each Bloodline derivation. Then depending on the derivation each player has chosen (or is born with), they can get the following Feats to develop their blood powers.

For example

NEW FEATS

Minor Bloodline Prerequisite: Bloodline Strength 1 or more.

• At 1st level, get a cantrip (use at will), and a 1st level spell (use 1/long).
  • At 3rd level, get a 2nd level spell (use 1/long).
  • At 5th level, get a 3rd level spell (use 1/long).
Major Bloodline Prerequisite: 7th-level, Bloodline Strength 30 or more, Minor Bloodline Feat

• At 7th level, get a 4th level spell (use 1/long).
  • At 9th level, get a 5th level spell (use 1/long).
  • At 11th level, get a 6th level spell (use 1/long).
  • Also, you can use the spells granted by your Minor Bloodline feat once per short rest (instead of once per long rest).
Great Bloodline Prerequisite: 13th-level, Bloodline Strength 60 or more, Minor Bloodline Feat, Major Bloodline Feat

• At 13th level, get a 7th level spell (use 1/long).
  • At 15th level, get a 8th level spell (use 1/long).
  • At 17th level, get a 9th level spell (use 1/long).
  • Also, you can use the spells granted by your Minor Bloodline feat three times per short rest (instead of once per short rest).

as an example, this would be the list of spells that a player with the bloodline of Anduiras could choose from. Anduiras was the god of Air, Nobility, Courage, Leadership.

• Anduiras

Cantrips

• Gust
  • Resistance
  • Sacred Flame
  • Thunderclap
1st level

• Animal Friendship (lion only)
  • Beast Bond (lion only)
  • Bless
  • Compelled Duel
  • Cure Wounds
  • Detect Evil and Good
  • Divine Favor
  • Feather Fall
  • Fog Cloud
  • Healing Word
  • Heroism
  • Protection from Evil and Good
  • Sanctuary
  • Thunderwave
2nd level

• Aid
  • Beast Sense (lion only)
  • Enhance Ability (Str and Cha only)
  • Gust of Wind
  • Protection from Poison
  • Warding Wind
  • Zone of Truth
3rd level

• Blinding Smite
  • Conjure Animals (lion only)
  • Crusaders Mantle
  • Elemental Weapon (lightning)
  • Fly
  • Lightning Bolt
  • Protection from Energy (lightning)
  • Wind Wall
4th level

• Aura of Life
  • Conjure Minor Elementals (air)
  • Polymorph (lion only)
  • Staggering Smite
  • Storm Sphere
5th level

• Banishing Smite
  • Conjure Elemental (Air)
  • Control Winds
  • Dispel Evil and Good
  • Mass Cure Wounds
6th level

• Chain Lightning
  • Heal
  • Investiture of Wind
  • True Seeing
  • Wind Walk
7th level

• Divine Word
  • Regenerate
  • Whirlwind
8th level

• Animal Shapes (lion)
  • Antimagic Field
  • Control Weather
  • Holy Aura
9th level

• Mass Heal
  • Power Word Heal
  • Storm of Vengeance

This is just a rough draft, bouncing ideas in my brains, but I'm curious to know what you think about it.

Cheers!

Jediking

Explorer
Using something along the lines of Dragonmarked from the UA Eberron could be a good source to look at. They start with low level spells, then add higher ones or more uses as you level up. There have been several threads lately about the abundance of characters having spells, and some casters who don't have enough, so giving everyone(?) the ability to have them can have a big effect.

If you wanted more than just spells, looking at some of the racial traits could help out. Things such as Stonecunning or Brutal Critical could be good for low levels, then as they get more Blood Strength their heritage/ancestors/whathaveyou shine forth more and they unlock more powerful abilities. Those with Stonecunning can now Meld with Stone, or those with Brutal Critical get an increased crit range (stepping on Champions toes I know, but just a quick thought).

Yes, the Eberron feats were my inspiration.

I started by trying to create 40+ Feats using different sources (class features, monster traits), but in the end I found it difficult to "balance" them against each other.

That's why I thought to go the "spell-way", since in principle spells of the same level should be balanced against each other.

Now the question is, are these three feats mentioned above "balanced" against other Feats? The idea is that in a Birthright game some PC may choose to NOT want Blood Abilities, and just take normal Feats (or Ability Score Improvements).

Having slept on this a couple of nights, I'm thinking that maybe the ability of casting level 7-8-9 spells once per day may not be the most balanced.

Jediking

Explorer
Casting 7-9th levels spells is reserved for full spell casting classes as well, so opening up the ability to pick high level spells for some classes could be tough to balance. It would be a bigger difference adding spells to a Barbarian or Fighter than to a Wizard, at least I would think. Limiting the spells available might make it easier, the one house you have listed has a tonne to choose from; if there are 3 other houses (or more) then it doesn't seem like it has a hard limit.

Maybe taking some existing Feats and adding advanced one could help? Refluff Magic Initiative into Bloodline, and then have Magic Adept, then Magic Master or something and being able to choose higher spells for each, and using previous spells more often,

EDIT: And balancing against other feats: getting higher level spells is a huge boost, but giving up 3 ASIs is a big trade off. But classes that get more ASIs (Fighter and Rogue) are limited casters at best and may find more use out of the feat as well. Something to keep in mind.

Mh... Magic Initiate grants two cantrips, and one first level spell (1/long rest). Wouldn't you say that the Eberron feats are already stronger than that?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads