• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Black Desert Character Sheet Preview-Need Feedback!

Blue Max Studios

First Post
p { margin-bottom: 0.08in; } After months of research and trial and error, I have finally developed a unique Character Sheet for The Black Desert Role-Playing Game, a Hard SF RPG for Open D6.

The Character Sheet has what I hope is an innovative layout with easy to read and intuitive entries. Some of the more unusual features are the Combat Displays, which allow a Player to put all of the information needed to use their favorite ranged and melee combat skills in one place, and the Damage Tracker, which combines the utility of hit points and the tradition of wound levels in a streamlined, easy-to-use package.

The full document with all the explanations is too long to post here (especially with the pictures) so I have provided a link to the full article here. I am hoping to get some feedback before I release the Character Sheet in a free PDF.

Thanks in advance!

Ray McVay,
Blue Max Studios
Prototype+Character+sheet.JPG

Asmor

First Post
It's visually striking, and to be honest I had sort of a kneejerk reaction to dislike it just because it looks like it's trying to be fancy for no particular reason.

That said, after examining it a bit, it does actually seem like a very nice sheet.

I like the fact that it's landscape. When tablespace is at a premium, landscape tends to work a lot better than portrait.

I don't know anything about your system, so it may be that the complaints I have aren't very relevant... However, it seems like a larger area for keeping track of current damage would be helpful, as in my experience a lot of people tend to cross things out and write new numbers, and erase everything less frequently. With the space you've allocated for that, it seems like you'd have to erase after every hit.

Additionally, you only have options for one kind of melee and one kind of ranged weapon. That's probably sufficient for 90% of the attacks one might make, but you might consider adding in some space for additional weapons, even if the extra ones are just on simple lines rather than the fancy boxes.

Blue Max Studios

First Post
Thanks for the input!

I chose landscape for the ease of use for both game table and computer screens; I'm glad you like it.

I agree that the "Current" damage entry may have to little space; I'll fiddle with it. I'm trying my best to keep the Character Sheet down to one page.

That is also the reason why I only have one Ranged and Melee Combat Display. My current idea is to include a Display with each weapon on a "Combat Card" for Players to copy or print out. If there are a lot, they can be kept in Collectible Card holders in a binder.

...which of course totally violates the "one page sheet" goal, I know. Guess I can't have everything!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads