Black Flag Black Flag Reference Document released by Kobold Press.

darjr

I crit!

Kobold Press is excited to announce our first public Black Flag Roleplaying Reference Document (BFRD). This document is built off the current public Alpha Release and falls under the ORC license. This means that now EVERYONE can freely create using this open rules system!

This is only the first version of the BFRD. As we complete more of the final rules, the Black Flag Reference Document will be updated and re-released to stay current.

Mark stops by and posts a little more detail about the intent of this release.

Hey everyone, happy to see the discussion!

As publishers, we understand the publishing cycle is a long one. As game designers, we know a lot of people are excited to start designing for Black Flag Roleplaying. This "taster" allows those designers to have a foundational document to start their own design while we finish up the full product. For those of you interested in playing BFR/ToV, this early BFRD release means you're more likely to have additional supplemental material for BFR not long after ToV officially releases next year, allowing you and your group to dive right in with plenty of fun options from us and others.

Last edited:

Elodan

Adventurer

Essentially the SRD for Tales of the Valiant. Uses the ORC license.

Currently based on the alpha release. Only contains levels 1 - 5 for Cleric, Fighter, Rogue, and Wizard as well as Beastkin, Dwarf, Elf, and Human. I believe some of the terminology is out of date. I thought sources of magic was renamed to sources from circles and circles were now spell levels instead of rings.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Huh. So how does that work? They took the WotC CC-BY SRD, fiddled with it, then released it under the ORC license. Hopefully someone with a better grasp of the legalities involved will come along soon.

mamba

Legend
A bit unclear myself, maybe @Morrus can help, aren’t they doing essentially the same with the Level Up SRD (based on OGL I assume, but released under OGL, CC, ORC)?

I guess the trick is “Our SRD does not borrow any text from the existing 5ESRD (O5E)”, not sure how you determine you are ‘sufficiently different’ to not still be a copyright violation however

Would have liked the Kobolds to release under CC (either in addition or exclusively, realistically the former), so people do not have to track different licenses

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
A bit unclear myself, maybe @Morrus can help, aren’t they doing essentially the same with the Level Up SRD (based on OGL I assume, but released under OGL, CC, ORC)?
I haven’t looked at it in enough detail. Sorry! I’m not really qualified to comment on their licensing decisions.

mamba

Legend
I haven’t looked at it in enough detail. Sorry! I’m not really qualified to comment on their licensing decisions.
I was thinking about the A5e ones, not Black Flag. You are releasing under OGL, CC and ORC even though 5e was only under OGL when you started and still isn’t under ORC. So to me whatever Kobold has to do for its SRD to be under ORC when the ‘original’ isn’t should be the same as what you did with A5e. If it works for LU, it should work for ToV as well

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I was thinking about the A5e ones, not Black Flag. You are releasing under OGL, CC and ORC even though 5e was only under OGL when you started and still isn’t under ORC. So to me whatever Kobold has to do for its SRD to be under ORC when the ‘original’ isn’t should be the same as what you did with A5e. If it works for LU, it should work for ToV as well
Presumably. We'll have been advised by the same lawyers, I believe!

Remove ads