• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Black or white?

Black or white?

• Black is cooooool!

Votes: 312 64.7%
  • White doesn't make my eyes go funny!

Votes: 170 35.3%

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Black. It's easier on the eyes, especially during nightly browsing - no need to have your retinas burned. :)

And it's ENWorld's "thing".

And white only looks good if done well (like all these gradient-filled Web 2.0 websites, otherwise it looks like very bare HTML).

So, yeah, black, please.

And for the work surfers, I recommed Zap Colors - it's pretty universal! :)

Cheers, LT.

Charwoman Gene

Adventurer
Umm, a small request? could the white pages be given the old text colors?

Right now, with the Gold, zee goiggles, zey do nothing!

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I've modified both the black and white versions.

If anyone knows of a cookie-based bit of code that'll allow you to choose which you prefer, let me know (as opposed to something that requires a database query, which we're strictly avoiding on the news page right now).

Should be pretty easy.

I've used styleswitch.js to do this in the past.

Put the following code in the <head> of the page (just before </head> )

black.css and white.css are the black and white versions of your css.

Code:
<link rel="alternate stylesheet" href="/black.css" type="text/css" media="screen" title="Black-Style" />
<link rel="alternate stylesheet" href="/white.css" type="text/css" media="screen" title="White-Style" />

<!--This script should appear below your LINK stylesheet tags -->

<script src="/include/styleswitch.js" type="text/javascript">

/***********************************************
* Style Sheet Switcher v1.1- © Dynamic Drive DHTML code library (www.dynamicdrive.com)
* This notice MUST stay intact for legal use
* Visit Dynamic Drive at http://www.dynamicdrive.com/ for this script and 100s more
***********************************************/

</script>
<script type="text/javascript">
window.onload=function(){
if (getCookie("mysheet") == null) {
  chooseStyle("Black-Style", 60);
}
var formref=document.getElementById("switchform")
indicateSelected(formref.choice)
}
</script>

Then at the bottom of the home page you can have

Code:
<p style="font-size:9px;">Choose your preferred style for this site: <form id="switchform">
<input type="radio" name="choice" value="Black-Style" onClick="chooseStyle(this.value, 60)">Black Style<br />
<input type="radio" name="choice" value="White-Style" onClick="chooseStyle(this.value, 60)">White Style
</form></p>

Then put the attached .js file in the appropriate place (in my example here it would be in an /include/ directory - if you want to put it somewhere else just modify the script src= tag at the top of the example)

(I've had to rename the script include file as styleswitch.js.txt in order to upload it - you will rename it to styleswitch.js)

This will then provide black pages by default, but if someone selects white it will use a cookie to remember and give them white pages in the future.

Cheers

Attachments

• styleswitch.js.txt
    4.5 KB · Views: 86

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Umm, a small request? could the white pages be given the old text colors?

Right now, with the Gold, zee goiggles, zey do nothing!

Huh? Gold, what? What's gold? It's white background, black text, blue links. It's identical to how it was yesterday, and the day before, and the day before that, and a week ago. As in, I didn't change the white one, except to move some text and add a couple of links.

Methinks it's your goggles that are borked, not the website! Go tell your optician you're hallucinating colours that don't exist! :D

There ain't no gold!

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Personally I like dark text on a light background best.

1. better contrast level (for me)
2. better readability (especially on handheld devices like iPhone)
3. black is very 90's. Lots of black websites in the late 90's. Not so many now (especially amongst sites that have lots of text for you to read)
4. better, uh, work compatibility. nuff said.

Cheers

Walking Dad

First Post
Go away with grey! ;)

Serious, on grey it is harder to read white than on black and harder to read black than on white.

And I like my dark room. Keep black as an option at least, please.

That is NO fluff vote.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads