• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Black pudding in a pit

interwyrm

First Post
Let's say you've got a 15x15 pit. At the bottom is a black pudding. Player falls (or is pushed) into the pit.

Does the pudding get an AoO?

Is the player's armor automatically exposed to the acid effect?

Pyrex

First Post
interwyrm said:
Let's say you've got a 15x15 pit. At the bottom is a black pudding. Player falls (or is pushed) into the pit.

Sure, the pudding has reach, and the character (seriously, you'd push one of your *players* into a Black Pudding? ;) ) moves through threatened squares on his way to the bottom of the pit.

interwyrm said:

Not automatically, only subject to the AOO hitting and the character failing his reflex save.

darthkilmor

First Post
interwyrm said:

A black pudding is huge, the player is entering the puddings square when he lands. So yes, I would say the pudding gets an AoO. ( similar to overrun ).

And well, of course the player can't end his turn in the ooze's square, so he'll have to bounce up out of the pit to safety.

Player is in a bad way indeed.

interwyrm

First Post
darthkilmor said:
And well, of course the player can't end his turn in the ooze's square, so he'll have to bounce up out of the pit to safety.

Erm, this seems to be the crux of the issue. What happens when you are forced to end your turn in the same square as a monster composed of corrosive acid?

frankthedm

First Post
IMNSHO Falling should not be treated as movement. Otherwise Freedom of Movement can be a death sentence if you want your movement impaired.

Falling into a pudding or other slime should immediately start the grapple / engulf procedure. I'd say only acid damage is inflicted until the goop is no longer flat pseudopod'ed

Shin Okada

Explorer
Think like this. The pit is a kind of room. And the traodoor is a kind of door. Now, the "combat" starts when the trap door opens and the PC starts to fall. Roll initiative. If the black pudding acts first, it can make AoO. If the PC beats it's initiative score, the black one is still flat-footed and thus no AoO.

joshjurg

Explorer
I think it comes down to the entire group's extrapolation of the rules and if they correlate to how physics work on earth.

Falling speed will be 9.8m/s for the first second of falling (I think) this is markedly faster than normal movement.

It also basically comes down to the dm's interpretation if the character is moving (even though he is not under his own control) or if he is basically a projectile, not unlike a falling boulder.

Honestly, no matter if the pudding gets an AO or not, I don't think it should. It's not going to even need to roll to hit once the character hits the bottom of the pit. Odds are this character is as good as dead.

interwyrm

First Post
joshjurg said:
Honestly, no matter if the pudding gets an AO or not, I don't think it should. It's not going to even need to roll to hit once the character hits the bottom of the pit. Odds are this character is as good as dead.

Can you qualify that response?

If the PC isn't grappled it can climb out.

If it has freedom of movement, it can't even BE grappled.

Then again, I'm thinking of coupling this little trap with a dispelling screen to hopefully end any freedom of movement, levitate, or flight spells.

Aluvial

Explorer
interwyrm said:
Can you qualify that response?

If the PC isn't grappled it can climb out.

If it has freedom of movement, it can't even BE grappled.

Then again, I'm thinking of coupling this little trap with a dispelling screen to hopefully end any freedom of movement, levitate, or flight spells.

You should drop a Black Pudding shaped like a 16 TON weight on to the character....

don't forget the falling damage for the weight of a blob of living corrosive acid...

Aluvial

Remove ads