• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 Blackrazor questions 3.5

Lurple

First Post
Hello For the last few months my friends and I have been playing D&D 3.5 home games. And in the past are characters had completed white plume mountain. In completing that we acquired all 3 of the legendary weapons. My character specializes in broad sowrds. So when we got blackrazor i thought this would be a great weapon for me. In the text of white plume mountain you can return the legendary weapons to their collector for 10k each. My friend wanted me to pay for blackrazor if i wanted it. So i agreed. Now 4 months latter, he is picking up on the same character he went on (WPM) with and he had come acros some book saying blackrazor is worth 90k. and now wants me to pay 1/2 that price to him.
I am just not sure because in the text of (WPM) it said 10k and that's were I got the sword form not the book he is getting his info from. Even though i have seen the book and it is 3.5 and it dose say blackrazor.

So my question is do you guys think this is fair that i pay 1/2 of 90k even after we agreed on 10k?

Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
What is this "paid" business? In my day, we stole all those weapons from White Plume Mountain and split anyone who said otherwise from stem to stern.

Also, we walked uphill in the snow both ways to Castle Greyhawk.

ashockney

First Post
I'd pay a lot more than 45k to keep Blackrazor out of my PC's hands...

Having said that, it sounds like a great opportunity to take these ideas and build them into your story.

How will the PC discover the "true" value of his sword?
How will he get it into the hands of someone who appreciates and will reward him for it's true value?
That's too much cash to carry around, so how will he "arrange" for credit/payment/trade and where?
What will a connection/favor like this mean from an npc in the game?

Thorindale

First Post
Blackrazor (and the other weapons) were updated to 3ed in the Arms & Equipment Guide (Blackrazor at 90,150 gp).

Last edited:

Greenfield

Adventurer
As far as "buying" items is concerned, our campaign uses a similar mechanism.

All loot collected in an adventure is appraised, and it's resale value is totalled. The grand total is then divided among PCs. That's how much credit each one has with the "loot store". You can take your share in cash if you like, or use it to buy items from the treasure pile. If some item is more than you have, you can supplement with your own cash. Items that nobody wants get sold "in town", with the cash proceeds used to cash out any unused credit.

If two people want the same item they bid on it, and the excess raised gets split out as extra party shares.

This approach is actually pretty simple in practice, and guarantees a fairly even distribution of goodies. People who can't find the right item in one treasure pick will have that much extra cash to spend next time.

Remove ads