• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Bladeless Swordmage

Wednesday Boy

The Nerd WhoFell to Earth
Is there any balancing reason to not allow a Swordmage to use a different weapon instead of a falchion, greatsword, longsword, scimitar, short sword? (Much like a 3.5 Duskblade doesn't have to use a blade.) I like the image of my Swordmage wielding a warhammer but I'm not sure if I overlooked any balancing issue. Thanks for the insight!

I see no balance reason you have to use swords. One of my friends is playing a warforged 'spiked gauntlet' swordmage, and he pretends he's an anime mecha, shooting his fists at people.

Squizzle

First Post
Don't forget that the spiked shield counts as a light blade, and that it can be enchanted as a throwing shield. I very badly want to make a High Magus of the War-Frisbee, using the swordmage class.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Is there any balancing reason to not allow a Swordmage to use a different weapon instead of a falchion, greatsword, longsword, scimitar, short sword? (Much like a 3.5 Duskblade doesn't have to use a blade.) I like the image of my Swordmage wielding a warhammer but I'm not sure if I overlooked any balancing issue. Thanks for the insight!

Madness! You risk unleashing the spell plague all over again! The Realms will face armageddon if a swordmage doesn't use a sword!

err... probably not a big deal.

WalterKovacs

First Post
Just as a note ... the swordmage uses a blade as an implement and relies on a blade for stuff like their AC boost from warding ... but none of their powers say they need a sword. Specifically, their weapon based powers don't have the requirement lists you'd see for a rogue power, for example. [The main reason for pointing that out is that a staff wizard could multiclass into swordmage and use their staff as their weapon and be able to have intelligent blademaster, and powerswap into weapon based powers, etc and benefit ... they just wouldn't get the warding without the blade.

There may be some reason they wanted to restrict it to blades ... it may involve some combination of properties or feats for other items. Maybe just the prof/weapon damage tradeoff, combined with implement attacks that ignore the proficiency but use the weapon damage ... that could be the reason?

eleventh

First Post
Don't forget that the spiked shield counts as a light blade, and that it can be enchanted as a throwing shield. I very badly want to make a High Magus of the War-Frisbee, using the swordmage class.
Where do you find the enchantment for throwing shield? I skimmed the AV to no avail.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads